September 14, 2010:
Permanent full-time employees of the City of Chelsea will be admitted to membership in the Chelsea Retirement System subject to the following conditions:
- The Department Head shall supply the Retirement Board with a list of all employees, their annual salaries, and the date of their original appointment to said office.
- The deduction to be withheld from the salary of each member who became an employee after July 1, 1996 must be 9% plus an additional 2% of compensation in excess of $30,000.
- Employees may request, in writing, permission to make-up payments for their previous employment with the City of Chelsea or any agency which has been accepted as a member of the retirement system. The amount to be repaid for the make-up period only shall be based on the percentage in effect on the original date of the employee’s employment.
- The make-up payment of those deductions that would have been made had the employee become a member of the Chelsea Retirement System on the original date of employment shall be the percentage in effect on said date, plus interest to the completion of the make-up payment. For the period beginning July 1, 1996 and thereafter, the percentage withheld is 9%. Plus an additional 2% of compensation in excess of $30,000.
- Each employee requesting permission to make up payments for their previous employment shall provide the Retirement Board with a verified list of salaries earned by them, by calendar year, not including overtime or bonuses so that a make-up payment can be calculated.
- Any member who has been previously employed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts or any political subdivision thereof, and a member of its retirement system must inform the retirement board so that an inquiry can be made as to the disposition of said employee’s accumulated deductions.
- Each employee seeking to become a member of the Chelsea Retirement System must complete an enrollment form, which must be accompanied by a copy of said employee’s birth certificate and, if a veteran, a copy of their military discharge papers, Form DD-214, or other official documentation.