If you are the survivor of a Massachusetts public employee or retiree, you must contact their retirement board to advise them of the death as soon as possible. The board will need a copy of the death certificate. You may be entitled to benefits if you are listed as a beneficiary or are the surviving spouse. The board will review the member’s record and will advise you of any benefits that may be available, as well as the process. Please review our Survivor Benefits Guide for additional information. There may be additional forms to complete.

Please select a board from the list below if you need contact information. Please note: if the deceased individual is a survivor who has been receiving survivor benefits, that death must also be reported right away to avoid overpayment of benefits.