PERAC's Main Guide-Involuntary Retirement
Public Employee Retirement Administration Commission / Image of Sunrise

Contact PERAC

Send RFP Notice

Home What's New Board Profiles Forms Jobs Memos PERAC Units Publications Chapter 32 Regulations  
System Structure
General Information
Annual Reports
Contributions by         Members
Creditable Service
Eligibility for Retirement
Mandatory Retirement
Service After Age 70
Retirement Allowance
Application Procedures
Suspension of Benefits
Termination Retirement
Forfeiture of Benefits
Employment After          Superannuation
Options for Retirees
Social Security
Survivor Benefits
Disability Retirement
Involuntary Retirement
MA Taxes
Federal Taxes
Support Orders
Health + Life Insurance
Addresses + Numbers

Main Guide



Does my department head have the right to file an application to retire me?

Yes, your department head may file an application to retire you upon the basis of disability (or superannuation). The minimum creditable service and age requirements that are applied to applications filed by members also apply to retirement applications initiated by an employer.

How is the process begun, and do I have any immediate recourse if I feel I should not be retired?

Your department head will initially file an Involuntary Retirement Application with your retirement board, which requires no information or any statement from you. A copy of this form must be sent to you simultaneously. Within fifteen days of receiving your copy of the form, you may request a hearing before your retirement board if you are a member-in-service of Group 1, Group 2, or Group 4 who has attained age 55 and who has completed 15 or more years of creditable service, or if you haven't attained age 55 but have completed 20 or more years of creditable service.

Will the process include a medical examination and evaluation?

If you are not entitled to an initial hearing and/or your retirement board accepts the appropriateness of the disability application, the involuntary process will continue through the same medical evaluation process that governs a voluntary application for a disability retirement.

Where can I appeal if I am involuntarily retired?

Any Group 1, Group 2, or Group 4 member who has been involuntarily retired and has attained age 55 and completed 15 or more years of creditable service, or any member so classified who has not attained age fifty-five but who has completed 20 or more years of creditable service, or any such member who is a veteran and has completed ten or more years of creditable service may seek review of such action in the district court in the district in which he or she resides within 30 days after the certification of the retirement board's decision.

Privacy Policy Download Tools  
  PERAC Pension News
  Annual Report
  Retirement Guides