PERAC's Main Guide - Appeals
Public Employee Retirement Administration Commission / Image of Sunrise

Contact PERAC

Send RFP Notice

Home What's New Board Profiles Forms Jobs Memos PERAC Units Publications Chapter 32 Regulations  
System Structure
General Information
Annual Reports
Contributions by         Members
Creditable Service
Eligibility for Retirement
Mandatory Retirement
Service After Age 70
Retirement Allowance
Application Procedures
Suspension of Benefits
Termination Retirement
Forfeiture of Benefits
Employment After          Superannuation
Options for Retirees
Social Security
Survivor Benefits
Disability Retirement
Involuntary Retirement
MA Taxes
Federal Taxes
Support Orders
Health + Life Insurance
Addresses + Numbers

Main Guide



Who has the right to appeal to the Contributory Retirement Appeal Board (CRAB) and when must an appeal be filed?

Any person who is aggrieved by a decision of a retirement board or PERAC or by the failure of a retirement board or PERAC to take action may appeal to CRAB. In some limited cases, an appeal lies with the district court. (This is discussed more fully below.)

If Chapter 32 does not specify a time within which a board or PERAC is required to act, an appeal of a failure to act must be filed within 15 days after the end of one month following the date that a written request to act was filed with the board or with PERAC.

Who are the members of CRAB?

The board consists of three members,

an Assistant Attorney General, who acts as the chairman,
a designee of PERAC, and
a person appointed by the Governor.

If the matter being considered by CRAB concerns a disability retirement, the Commissioner of Public Health or his designee will substitute for PERAC's designee.

How does this appeals process work?

Within a period of not less than ten days or more than 60 days after the appeal is filed, CRAB must assign the matter to an Administrative Magistrate from the Division of Administrative Law Appeals. The Administrative Magistrate will conduct a hearing and issue a written decision that shall become final and binding upon the board and all other parties unless, within 15 days, either party files a written objection to CRAB or CRAB orders in writing that it will review the decision of the Administrative Magistrate. CRAB's final decision may be appealed to the Superior Court.

Is there another avenue of appeal available?

If you are a member of Group 1, Group 2, or Group 4 who has attained age 55 and who has completed 15 or more years of creditable service, or if you have not attained age 55 but have completed 20 or more years of creditable service, or if you are a veteran and have completed ten or more years of creditable service, you may petition the district court for review of certain decisions involving involuntary retirement. Any member may petition the District Court for review in cases involving dereliction of duty.

Please note. In cases where a member has fully cooperated with the processing of an involuntary retirement application, CRAB has held that such cooperation effectively transforms the application from one of an involuntary nature to a voluntary one. In such circumstances, CRAB has held that it has jurisdiction to hear the appeal, as opposed to the District Court.

If I am awaiting a decision about disability, may I take an allowance for which I am qualified?

You are permitted to take a superannuation retirement allowance (if otherwise eligible) pending a ruling by CRAB pertaining to your accidental or ordinary disability retirement allowance. You are permitted to take an ordinary disability retirement allowance (if otherwise eligible) pending a ruling by CRAB pertaining to your accidental disability retirement allowance. Your acceptance of an allowance will not prejudice your case for receipt of further benefits.

Privacy Policy Download Tools  
  PERAC Pension News
  Annual Report
  Retirement Guides