- 12-Step Guide to Starting a Business in Massachusetts
The Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development (EOHED) provides a 12-step guide to starting a business in Massachusetts, including details on business plans, choosing a location in Massachusetts, “doing business as” certificates, financing, training, registering with the Commonwealth, and more.
- If you just need to register your business with the Commonwealth, follow the links below:
- Register with the Secretary of the Commonwealth
Register with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue
- Write a Business Plan
Craft a business plan that establishes the value of your product or service, and shows investors why they should back your project.
- Elements of a Business Plan: Executive Summary, Company Description, Market Analysis, Organization & Management, Service or Product Line, Marketing & Sales, Funding Request, Financial Projections, Appendix
- Choose Your Business Structure
Choose a business structure that best suits your needs in terms of decision-making ability, tax obligations, liability, and financial support.
- Summary of Business Types: Sole proprietorship, limited liability corporation (LLC), cooperative, corporation, partnership, S corporation