Divorce and annulment

If you’re facing a divorce, you need to know what lies ahead in the legal process. The Massachusetts Laws about divorce and Court Rules will answer many of your questions. Plus, you'll find other valuable print and online resources here. Divorce forms are also available, along with help in determining which ones to use.

Marriage and living together

Whether you're getting married or you're moving in together, you both have certain rights and responsibilities -- particularly if you have children together. Find out what these are, how to apply for a marriage license or non-marital living together agreement, the Massachusetts law about marriage and name changes, and what to do if you decide to have an out-of-state clergy perform your marriage ceremony.

Change the name on your social security card

Whenever you change your name, be sure to report the change to Social Security. Otherwise, your earnings may not be recorded properly and you may not receive all the Social Security you are due. Not changing your name with Social Security also can delay your income tax refund. Find out how to report a name change here.

Guide to Massachusetts law about name changes

According to Massachusetts law, you can petition for a name change in the probate court in your county. Find out how.

Probate and Family Court

Cases typically handled by Probate and Family Courts include divorce, affirmation or annulment of marriage, abuse prevention, child custody, paternity, child support, termination of parental rights, the probate of wills, administration of estates, and name changes. Here you'll find links to forms, parent education, telephone numbers to court houses by county, and more.