Both CharlieCards and CharlieTickets are reusable and rechargeable, but the CharlieCard is more affordable, versatile, and convenient. For starters, card users pay only the standard T fare while ticket users often pay a surcharge. Card users can also access online account management services to add a pass or value. And, CharlieCard account users have the additional benefit of auto-reload and loss protection. Check here for details! Note: CharlieCards are currently available for subway and bus use only.
- The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA) serves communities across New England. Here you'll find everything you need to know to get around Boston and surrounding suburbs by commuter rail, bus, the T subway system, or boat. Learn about safety, bike and pet rules — even alternative transportation available to those who can't use public transportation.
- Commercial bus service is widely available throughout Massachusetts. The bus terminals in Boston are located at South Station, Atlantic Avenue; and Back Bay Station, Dartmouth Street.
- Say good-bye to traffic hassles. With boating options like the ferry, water taxi, or cruise line, you can sit back and relax, have coffee, read the newspaper, and take the stress out of your daily commute. Onboard WIFI is also available on some routes, so you can check your email or surf the Internet.
- Riding the bus has never been easier or more convenient! Whether you're a commuter planning tomorrow's trip to work or a visitor planning your first trip to Massachusetts, find the bus services you need to get around the Bay State. Find everything you ever wanted to know about bus travel in and around Boston. From local buses for urban communities like Boston and Cambridge to Express commuter buses to and from Boston.
- There are many convenient ways to buy a Massachusetts Transit Authority (MBTA) T-Pass. Visit an MBTA sales office at Back Bay, Downtown Crossing, Harvard, North Station and South Station or load a T-Pass on a CharlieCard or CharlieTicket at over 500 in-station fare vending machines or retail sales locations. Or buy them online.
View a list of regional transit authority websites to find route schedules, maps, fare information, news, paratransit services, and more near you.
- Take a look at our new CharlieCard Discount Book. It's packed with deals you can't pass up, including arts and entertainment options, restaurants, retail stores, health and fitness services, and more! Plus, most of the listings are easily accessible by the T, Boston's subway system. Find out where to pick one up!