Whether you prefer motorized boats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks or some other form of nonmotorized boat, you're bound to have questions about boat registration, boating law, good places to paddle or sail, launch facilities, information on boating lessons, pumpout facilities and more. Here you'll find all the information you need to plan a day trip on your boat.

Renew motorboat, ATV, and snowmobile registrations

Do I need to register my motorboat? What should I do if I have lost my all-terrain vehicle's (ATV) registration? Here you'll find answers to these questions and learn how to renew your motorboat, snowmobile, or recreation vehicle registration.

Boating and off-highway vehicle (OHV) safety courses

Every year, boaters and off-highway vehicle (OHV) operators are killed in accidents on Massachusetts waters and OHV trails. Operator inexperience, inattention, recklessness, and speeding are leading causes of these tragic accidents. Learn about safety courses and laws that can ensure you enjoy your recreational vehicle safely.

State law about motorboats, recreational vehicles and other vessels (MGL c.90B)

Here you'll find important and commonly enforced Massachusetts state boating and recreational vehicle laws.

Download a boating accident report links to PDF file

The operator/owner of a vessel used for recreational purposes is required to file a written report when:

  • an accident results in loss of life or disappearance from a vessel
  • an injury requires medical treatment beyond first aid
  • the property damage exceeds $500 or the vessel is a complete loss