Register your car, truck, motorcycle, or other vehicle

Please refer to this section if you have purchased a new or used vehicle and are applying for a new registration. Find fee information and instructions on how to register and/or title:

  • New vehicles that have never previously been titled
  • Vehicles purchased from a Massachusetts retailer or an out-of-state dealer
  • Vehicles from a non-dealer
  • Motorcycles
  • RVs/motorhomes

Vehicle Bill of Sale Requirements

Find out what information should be included on a Bill of Sale to document the sale of a motor vehicle in Massachusetts.

Vehicle titles

Title information for cars, trucks, motorcycles and mopeds. Keep in mind that you need to get a title for your motor vehicle or trailer within 10 days of purchase — unless it's an older model purchased before 1980. Also find information on which vehicles are excluded from Title Law.

Required emission and safety inspections (vehicle inspections)

Here you'll find information about getting your non-commercial or commercial motor vehicle or motorcycle inspected, emission and safety inspection requirements, answers to common questions about the inspection program, and more.

Auto insurance

Have questions about auto insurance coverage? Looking for an insurance agent in your area? Find the answers here. Get step-by-step advice on buying auto insurance; information on coverage, discounts, surcharge appeals, Registry of Motor Vehicle (RMV) appeals; tips for teen drivers, and more.

Buying and selling a car

Check out these tips on buying, selling, and financing new, leased, and used cars, motorcycles, vans, and trucks. Find out what to be aware of when taking part in a private party sale and get up-to-speed on the Used Vehicle Warranty, Lemon, Lemon Aid, and Odometer Laws. And research topics on everything from car maintenance to consumer alerts from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

Motor vehicle sales and use taxes

What is the motor vehicle sales and use tax? When is this tax due? Do I have to pay this tax is if I purchased my car in another state? Find answers to these and other questions here. Also learn who is exempt from paying it, how the tax applies to the gift of an auto or vehicle transfers to a business entity or disabled person, how dealer rebates affect the tax, and more.

Auto repair

Purchased a new car recently only to discover it's a "lemon?" Wondering what Term of Protection means? Discover which vehicles are covered by the Lemon Law and which are not and what types of defects qualify. Also learn what manufacturers need to do to repair or replace your lemon or refund your money.

Apply for a disabled license plate or parking placard

 Download an application for a disabled parking placard/plate here and learn about ways to report handicap parking abuse. The Medical Affairs Branch of the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) issues handicapped placards and license plates to disabled Massachusetts residents. Find out how to document your disability and where to send your completed application form.

Save gas mileage with these vehicle maintenance tips

Try these tips to help save money on gas.

Vanity plates

Vanity license plates can be ordered from the RMV for private passenger, commercial, motorcycle, livery, bus, camper or antique vehicles.