If you are the spouse, child, or other eligible beneficiary of a state employee who died while still employed, you may be eligible for a survivor benefit, depending on the member's beneficiary selection on file.

One of the choices that may be available to you is to take a refund of the member's annuity account. If you are eligible to select this option, you can either take a direct refund, subject to a 20% federal tax, or roll the account over to another eligible retirement account with no tax penalties at the time of the rollover.

Another option may be to begin collecting a survivor pension. To be eligible for a pension you must either be the spouse of the member or an eligible beneficiary listed under Option D.

Contact the Survivor Benefits department in our Boston office for more information. They can be reached at 617-367-7770, Ext. 5 or 1-800-392-6017 (In MA only), ext. 5.