How do I know which bonus I am applying for?

Applicants are eligible for $1000 for first time serving in either Iraq or Afghanistan. Each subsequent tour/deployment to Iraq/Afg is $500. Applicants are also eligible to receive $500 for your first time serving either 6 months stateside or 6 months overseas. Each subsequent tour/deployment for 6 months overseas is $250.

What can I send to prove I was in Iraq or Afghanistan?
  • Iraq or Afghanistan Campaign Medals
  • Evaluations
  • DD214 showing country location
  • Ship Itineraries
  • BIR (Basic Individual Record- USMC)
  • Achievement Medal Certificates
  • ERB (Enlisted Record Brief- US Army) or ORB (Officer Record Brief- US Army)
  • Sea Service Deployment Ribbon certificate
  • Orders stating the words Iraq or Afghanistan (not OIF or OEF)
  • Memo from a commanding officer on official letterhead stating your location as Iraq or Afghanistan and dates of service
  • CED orders or Virtual Military Personnel Flight Record (Air Force)
  • Anything showing your name, dates of deployments, and location
  • Travel orders
Where do I get the Certificate of Residency signed and sealed?

If this is your first time applying for the bonus, you want to go to the city or town hall that you lived in 6 months – 1 year prior to your enlistment (i.e. if you enlisted between 1/2010- 5/2010, the year of residency we need is 2009; or 6/2010- 12/2010, we need 2010.) If this is a subsequent bonus, please have the certificate filled out according to your latest deployment. If this is for multiple subsequent bonuses, submit a certificate of residency for each deployment.

If I am living out of state and unable to go to my city/town hall or my city/town cannot find me registered, what should I do?

First, start by calling your city or town hall to see if they will allow for someone in your family to have the Certificate of Residency filled out for you. If not, we will also accept copies of a W2 tax form, an excise tax form for the necessary year. Also, if you enlisted within a year after graduating high school, we will accept a copy of your diploma or a GED.

Once I mail in my application, how long does it take for me to receive a check in the mail?

It takes approximately 4-6 weeks for you to receive your check in the mail. Unfortunately, we do not have direct deposit.

Can I receive my bonus for each of my deployments?

Yes, as long as we have all the necessary proof of each deployment and they meet the required criteria.

Is my bonus taxable?

No, the “Welcome Home Bonus” is 100% tax-free!

My command says it’s against the law for me to photocopy my ID and send it to anyone.

The photocopying of U.S. Government identification cards is a violation of  Title 18, U.S. Code Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701 and punishable by fine and imprisonment.  This prohibition, however, does not apply to government agencies.  It also does not apply to other government agencies in the performance of official government business.

Can I fax or email my application?

Currently we cannot accept faxed or emailed applications since we need original signatures by you and your commanding officer (if applicable) and the city/town official raised seal.

What do I do with my completed application?

Review the application to make sure you have filled out all the necessary paperwork and have included any additional necessary documents. Then mail the application to:

Office of the State Treasurer
One Ashburton Place, Room 1207
Boston, MA 01208
ATTN: Welcome Home Bonus

Is there a time limit on the bonus?

Currently there is no time limit on the bonus.