Each of the military services maintains a discharge review board with authority to change, correct, or modify discharges or dismissals that are not issued by a sentence of a general courts-martial. The board has no authority to address medical discharges.

If you were discharged within the past 15 years, fill out and submit DD Form 293: Application for Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States. If your discharge was more than 15 years ago, fill out DD Form 149: Application for Correction of Military Records and submit it to the review board agency of your branch of service. The contact information for the review boards of all branches of service is listed on both forms.

Your local Veterans' Service Officer (VSO) can help you fill out these forms.