Tuition waiver for all Massachusetts veterans to all state colleges and universities
M.G.L. ch. 15A, s.19

Veterans of Massachusetts, as defined by M.G.L. ch. 4, s.7, clause 43, can be eligible for a tuition waiver (officially known as "categorical tuition waivers") at any state-supported course in an undergraduate degree program offered by a public college or university. To be eligible, a veteran must also be a legal resident of Massachusetts and he/she must not be in default of any federal student loans.

Veterans will be eligible on a space-available basis for a waiver of full or partial tuition based on proper documentation of the eligibility of the veteran. Space availability shall be determined in accordance with normal practices and procedures as published by each institution, i.e., the individual college or university.

As to tuition waivers for graduate school, it depends on the institution. According to Massachusetts General Laws chapter15A s.19:

"tuition waivers for graduate students shall be administered by each institution of public higher education. Said institutions shall annually and on a date specified by the council [of higher education] submit a written report to the board [of higher education] detailing graduate waiver policies and distributions of said waivers."

Note: Tuition waivers generally apply to programs leading to a degree or certificate. Schools may exclude non-credit courses from any or all waivers and they may exclude night courses or certificate programs, which do not have state funding.

How to Apply

Contact the Veterans' Representative at the college or university for details. The Massachusetts Office of Veterans' Education can also provide assistance.

Office of Veterans' Education
Massachusetts Department of Higher Education
1 Ashburton Place, Room 1401
Boston, MA 02108-1696

Need further assistance?

Massachusetts Board of Higher Education
Office of Student Financial Assistance
454 Broadway Street, Suite 200
Revere, MA 02151
(617) 727-9420
Fax: (617) 727-0067