The Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) Program at Suffolk University provides a unique opportunity for veterans of all ages to gain access to information about college and career awareness, acquire the academic skills required for entry into higher education and/or to acquire the equivalent of a high school diploma. Services are offered continuously with various workshops, self-paced computer tutorials, individualized tutoring and classroom-based instruction. All VUB classes and supplies are FREE to qualified veterans.
VUB is a TRiO Program, federally funded through a grant from the U.S. Department of Education.
In order to qualify, applicants must:
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- have served over 180 days on active military duty or have a service-connected disability. For reservists serving on or after September 11, 2001, shorter terms of service may provide eligibility
- have a military discharge other than dishonorable
- have academic need
And, applicants must qualify in one of the following two ways:
- They must be a potential first-generation college graduate (their primary caregiver had not graduated from a four-year higher education institution before the applicant turned 18), OR
- They must meet income guidelines for the program. These are based on federal taxable income and family size. Please call for detailed guidelines.
How to Apply
Make an appointment with Veterans Upward Bound staff. Bring your DD214 with you when you go in to fill out an application. (If you do not have your DD214, the VUB staff will be able to help you obtain it.)