UMass Boston Veterans Upward Bound Program
The Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) Program at UMass Boston provides a unique academic opportunity for veterans of all ages to gain access to information about college, post- secondary training programs, GED requirements, educational benefits and career awareness. Eligible veterans may choose to attend academic refresher classes in writing, reading, foreign language, study skills, math, basic science and computer skills in veterans only classrooms. Additionally, services are offered continuously with various workshops, self-paced computer tutorials, individualized tutoring and mentoring. All VUB classes and supplies are FREE of charge to qualified veterans. Our goal is to help veterans develop the mental discipline and skills to succeed in the classroom. VUB also has satellite programs located at: Brockton VA campus, and the Veterans Northeast Outreach Center — Haverhill;with summer workshops held at Bunker Hill Community College, Massasoit Community College, Northern Essex Community College and Cape Cod Community College.
VUB is a TRiO Program, federally funded through a grant from the U.S. Department of Education.
In order to qualify, applicants must:
- be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- have served over 180 days on active military duty or have a service-connected disability. For reservists serving on or after September 11, 2001, shorter terms of service may provide eligibility
- have a military discharge other than dishonorable
- have academic need
And, applicants must qualify in one of the following two ways:
- They must be a potential first-generation college graduate (their primary caregiver had not graduated from a four-year higher education institution before the applicant turned 18), OR
- They must meet income guidelines for the program. These are based on federal taxable income and family size. Please call for detailed guidelines.
How to Apply
Make an appointment with Veterans Upward Bound staff. Bring your DD214 with you when you go in to fill out an application. (If you do not have your DD214, the VUB staff will be able to help you obtain it.)
UMass Boston Contact
Veterans Upward Bound
100 Morrissey Boulevard
McCormack Hall, 3rd Floor, Room 704 (inside the Ryan Lounge)
Boston, MA 02125