Under Administrative Bulletin 04-07 enrollment in the VA healthcare system (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) qualifies as creditable insurance coverage under the Massachusetts Healthcare Reform Law. Because many veterans have earned this healthcare through their service, it is available at low or no out-of-pocket cost. Veterans may apply for VA healthcare prior to signing up for Commonwealth Care, Medicare, or MassHealth (which may charge premiums, fees, and co-pays).
- A listing of VA hospitals, clinics, and Vet Centers in Massachusetts.
- My HealtheVet is the VA's online personal health record.
- Tricare provides health care for members of the Reserve Component.
- Assistance dogs are provided to wounded veterans.
- The YMCA of Greater Boston is launching the Welcome Home program specifically geared toward assisting local servicemembers who have been injured in Iraq or Afghanistan. The program includes a full year of membership, free of charge.