How to Apply
Home for the Brave loans are made through approved community banks and are made possible by MassHousing. To apply, contact a participating lender.
Who is Eligible?
Home for the Brave loans are available to
- all veterans of the U.S. Armed Services,
- Active-duty military*,
- Spouses of soldiers, sailors, airmen, or Marines killed while on active duty.
*Because the employment on which their qualification is based is their military service, active-duty military do not qualify for mortgage payment protection if called to serve overseas since neither employment nor salary would change.
No downpayment is required for single-family homes and condominiums.
Home for the Brave borrowers may earn up to 135% of the median income in the city/town in which they are buying a home (up to $111,240). View income limits.
To qualify for a Home for the Brave mortgage, you must
- Purchase a primary residence. You do not have to be a first-time home buyer, but you may not own more than one home upon closing the loan
- Have good credit
- Have a total housing debt of less than 38% and a total monthly debt of less than 45%
- If you are buying a 2-, 3- or 4-family property, have two-months' reserves
- If you are seeking 100% financing, complete a home buyer counseling course
One Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02108-3110
Western Mass. Office
59 Interstate Drive
West Springfield, MA 01089