The Massachusetts State Retirement Board (MSRB) is providing the following operational update to active and retired members, beneficiaries, and participating employers.
MSRB offices in Boston and Springfield are closed to the public. During this period a limited number of MSRB staff are working on site in Boston and Springfield, and other staff are working remotely. Telephone hours are 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday, except on State Holidays. Please see below for specific telephone contact information.
Members of the State Employees’ Retirement System may drop off completed retirement applications, forms, and other documents at two locations: (1) at the MSRB’s Boston office at One Winter Street, Downtown Crossing; (2) at the MSRB’s Springfield office 436 Dwight Street, Room 109A.
Drop-off hours at both offices are Monday through Friday from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM, except on state holidays. Please click here to view the MSRB Member In-Person Visit Protocols & Requirements.
Please note: the issuance of regular monthly benefit payments, or other disbursements are not impacted. The next scheduled monthly benefits will be issued on Thursday, June 30, 2022.
Due to the continually changing situation, please check our website, www.mass.gov/retirement, and Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/mass.state.retirement, often for any updates on the Board’s operations.
USPS Changed Its Delivery Times for First Class Mail
The US Postal Service changed its first-class mail delivery times. The postal service's previous three-day delivery standard for first-class mail delivered anywhere in the U.S. was dropped to five days. Please take this into consideration and expect that applications, letters and other mail could take up to five days to reach their destinations and vice versa.
WHAT YOU CAN DO IN THE MEANTIME:
Please feel free to contact MSRB staff by email or telephone regarding your benefits-related questions.
Please note: if you email or call the MSRB please allow at least 24-48 hours for us to respond. We ask you to refrain from submitting multiple requests on the same matter by email and by telephone to different teams within the MSRB, especially if it is not time sensitive. Multiple requests have resulted in duplication of work and extend the time it takes to respond to you.
- (Active) Member Account Management: (MA State Employees' Retirement System beneficiary change requests only) Please note: Active Members must contact their Human Resources department to update their contact information: EBR@tre.state.ma.us
(Retiree & Survivor) Benefit Account Management: Benefit Verification questions, change of address, change to direct Deposit or change of beneficiary requests for Option B only: Benefitspay@tre.state.ma.us
- SRB Main Email: email@example.com
- Communications: MSRBCommunications@tre.state.ma.us
- Disability Benefits: MSRBDisabilityBenefitsfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Legal – Individuals who have legal documents to submit for review, such as proposed or draft domestic relations orders and worker’s compensation lump sum agreements, or documents related to a pending appeal before the Division of Administrative Law Appeals (DALA), may submit them to: email@example.com
- Refunds/Rollovers (Disbursements): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request a Retirement Benefit Estimate: EstimateRequest@tre.state.ma.us
- Service Purchases (Buybacks): email@example.com
- Survivor Benefits (report a member or survivor's death): firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also call our office at the number below:
Telephone: (617) 367-7770
PLEASE NOTE: Note: MSRB phones are answered Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., except on state holidays.
MSRB Website Resource Links:
- Report the Death of a Member, Survivor or Beneficiary: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/survivor-benefits-msrb
- Request a Pension Benefit Verification Letter: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/how-to-request-a-pension-benefit-verification-letter
- Calculate Your Estimated Pension Benefit Estimate: https://www.mass.gov/pension-estimate-calculator-msrb
- Access Your Pension Benefit Monthly Statement via PayInfo: https://payinfo.state.ma.us/payinfo/Login.asp
- Register for a SMART Retirement & Beyond Webinar (provides an overview of your pension benefit and SMART Plan benefit):https://www.mass.gov/service-details/smart-retirement-beyond-virtual-webinars-msrb
- Download the MSERS Retirement Benefit Guide (a complete overview of your pension benefit: https://www.mass.gov/media/1881341/download
Additionally, the SMART Plan’s Winter Street location at the Massachusetts State Retirement Board will be closed to visitors. SMART Plan advisors are still available to assist you at any time. Please click on this link to find the Advisor for your location: https://docs.empower-retirement.com/EE/Massachusetts/DOCS/Territory-Map.pdf
PLEASE BE ON ALERT FOR FRAUD:
Be aware of questionable emails related to your retirement benefits. Scammers capitalize on “hot news topics,” such as COVID-19, to trick you into clicking on their websites and emails.
- Always first check the sender’s email address to look for grammatical errors or questionable spellings;
- Emails from the State Retirement Board will ALWAYS come from staff that end with @tre.state.ma.us;
- The MSRB will NEVER ask you for personal information via email or ask you to send such information via email. Please don’t ever email your full social security number.