- This page, Public Contracting Overview - Online Class, is offered by
- Office of the Inspector General
Public Contracting Overview - Online Class
Contact for Public Contracting Overview - Online Class
Office of the Inspector General - OIG Academy
Overview of Public Contracting Overview - Online Class
This 3-day class will provide an overview of the legal requirements for public contracting by local governmental entities, districts and authorities.
Public Contracting Overview is a recommended prerequisite class for Supplies and Services Contracting and Design and Construction Contracting and certain electives. The class includes practical, hands-on exercises that allow participants to apply their contracting knowledge and skills to common issues faced by procurement officials. The class ends with a multiple-choice exam.
- Prerequisite: None
- Class Level: Basic
- Instructional Method: Online - MCPPO Online Class Technical Specifications
- Advanced Prep: None
- Credits: 20
- Oct 3 - 5, 2023
- Oct 31- Nov 2, 2023
- Nov 14 - 16, 2023
- Dec 5 -7, 2023
- Jan 16 - 18, 2024
- Feb 13 - 15, 2024
- March 19 - 21, 2024
- April 9 - 11, 2024
- April 30 - May 2, 2024
- June 12 - 14, 2024
Class time: 8:15 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Registration closes two weeks before the self-paced portion of the class starts.
- Blackboard® or other virtual platform login details will be emailed to registrants.
- Legal requirements for public contracts
- Principal objectives of public purchasing
- Designer selection and construction bid laws
- Purchasing supplies and services under M.G.L. c. 30B
- Obtaining price quotes for smaller purchases
- Market research, value analysis and life-cycle cost analysis
- The purchasing cycle
- Drafting contract terms
- Blanket contracts and collective bargaining agreements
- Real property transactions (overview)
- Prevailing wage laws
- Centralized purchasing
- Public records law requirements
- Ethics laws and considerations