Guide E-filing in the Trial Court

Find out which forms are available for e-filing and how to e-file forms in the Trial Court.

Table of Contents

Who can e-file?

Any litigant (attorney, self-represented party, state agency, etc.) may e-file. E-filing is not mandatory at this time, however, it is recommended for the cases listed below. If the initial complaint/petition is e-filed, it is recommended to e-file everything from that point on. Subsequent filings can be e-filed as long as you have the correct docket number from the court case.

You must be a registered user to e-file. You can register online.

Key Actions for Who can e-file?

Which courts accept e-filing?

Court department Case types accepted
Boston Municipal Court Civil, small claims, supplementary process
District Court Civil, small claims, supplementary process
Housing Court

Eastern, Central, Western, Northeast, Southeast, and Metro-South divisions: Small claims, supplementary process, summary process.

Probate & Family Court Estates & administration, divorce 1B, guardianship of incapacitated persons
Superior Court Barnstable, Middlesex & Worcester Superior Courts: Contract/business cases, equitable remedies, real property, actions involving state/municipality, administrative civil actions, miscellaneous civil actions, torts

See the comprehensive list of all Massachusetts courts that are utilizing e-filing

Additional Resources for Which courts accept e-filing?

How do I register to use e-filing?

Go to and click on the “Get started!” icon. You will also find self-help tutorials, frequently asked questions, and web training sessions to help you e-file for the first time.

Which Trial Court forms can be e-filed?

To find out which forms can be e-filed, please see Trial Court e-filing forms

What should I do if I'm having trouble filing e-file forms?

There are a few reasons this issue may be occurring.

The PDF may be form-fillable and needs to be flattened so that it cannot be edited or altered by other users. To do this: 

  1. Open a fillable form and add the necessary data. 
  2. Click File and select Print. 
  3. Select the Adobe PDF printer (if this is unavailable as an option, you can download the Print to PDF application at no charge) and click OK or Print. 
  4. In the pop-up window, select where to save the "flattened" version of the form. 
  5. Click Save and file the form in CM/ECF. 

Another issue may be the size of the document. Check with the court to make sure the document is the correct size for filing. In addition, make sure the PDF does not contain marks or logos with links to the site of the company that developed the product, as the court will not accept these files.

Key Actions for What should I do if I'm having trouble filing e-file forms?

Additional Resources for What should I do if I'm having trouble filing e-file forms?

How do I submit e-file forms?

$6 fee per submission

Each time you submit documents through efileMA, there is an associated fee payable to Tyler Technologies. This fee is $6. The $6 fee is applied to each submission, regardless of the number of included documents, and will not be charged until your filing is accepted by the court. Each document must be uploaded separately using its own specific filing code. If there are multiple documents submitted within one filing code, the filing will be returned by the court and must be corrected and re-submitted.

You will receive an email with an envelope number once you submit your documents to the court. An envelope number in Tyler represents the documents submitted by you when initiating a case or filing into an existing case. This envelope number is used to track the status of the filings until they are either accepted or returned. If accepted, you will receive email verification, with the docket # attached, and your credit card will be charged.

If a filing is returned, you will receive an email and all documents will be returned including a brief explanation as to why the filing is incorrect. Your credit card will not be charged. When you look into your returned cases, if you click the "Action" drop down and select “Copy envelope”, the documents will automatically upload into a new envelope. You will need to complete the party information, but the documents from the returned envelope will already be uploaded. This allows you to easily fix the incorrect filing(s) within the first envelope. Once all the necessary information is complete, you may re-submit the new envelope.

What should I do if I'm having a technical issue with the Tyler website?

You must contact Tyler using the number provided if there are any technical issues within the Tyler website. To contact Tyler, call 1 (800) 297-5377. All procedural questions should still be directed to the court where you are filing.

Trial Court e-filing forms

E-filing forms may not display properly in your browser. Please download the form(s) you need and open in Acrobat Reader.

Additional Resources for Trial Court e-filing forms

E-filing resources