Enroll in, change, cancel, or add and drop spouse and dependents from GIC health insurance and Retiree Dental coverage

Here is how to enroll in, change, cancel, add and drop spouse and dependents from GIC health and Retiree Dental insurance during Annual Enrollment and with a Qualifying Event as a municipal retiree or survivor.
Eligible state retirees and survivors may join, change, cancel coverage, and add or drop their spouse and dependents during Annual Enrollment or within 60 days of a qualifying status change, such as marriage, birth and adoption.

Group Insurance Commission


Main Phone (617) 727-2310

M-F 8:45 a.m.-5 p.m.


The Details

What you need

To add a spouse or dependent to coverage, documentation (e.g., copy of marriage or birth certificate) is required to accompany the form. If enrolling within 60 days of a qualifying event, you must attach proof of the qualifying event to your enrollment form.

Municipal retirees of participating municipalities who are receiving a pension from a public retirement system and eligible survivors may enroll in and change GIC health insurance benefits.  Retirees and survivors from participating municipalities are eligible for the GIC Retiree Dental Plan.

How to manage

Return completed enrollment forms, with required documentation (if applicable), opt-in and dis-enrollment forms to the GIC:

P.O. Box 8747
Boston, MA 02114

Please make sure all forms are submitted prior to any deadlines.


More info

Keep in mind that once you choose a health plan, you may not change plans until the next annual enrollment, even if your doctor or hospital leaves the plan during the year unless you become eligible for Medicare in which case you must enroll in a GIC Medicare plan.



Mailing Address
P.O. Box 8747, Boston, MA 02114
Street Address
19 Staniford St, Boston, MA 02114
Main Phone (617) 727-2310

M-F 8:45 a.m.-5 p.m.



Tell us what you think