Enroll in, change, or cancel life insurance

Here is how to change, reduce, or cancel optional life insurance coverage.
New state employees may enroll in optional life insurance for a coverage amount of up to eight times your salary within 10 days of hire without the need for any medical review.

Group Insurance Commission

The Details of Enroll in, change, or cancel life insurance

What you need for Enroll in, change, or cancel life insurance

What you need: If you did not enroll in Basic Life Insurance as a new hire, you can enroll during Annual Enrollment for coverage effective July 1. State employees actively at work who have a qualified family status change during the year may enroll in or increase their coverage without any medical review in an amount up to a coverage limit not to exceed four times their salary provided that the GIC receives proof, within 31 days, of the qualifying event. Family status changes include the following events:  marriage, birth/adoption, legal separation, divorce or death of spouse.  Forms and documentation received after the 31-day window will be denied.

How to amend Enroll in, change, or cancel life insurance

State employees and retiring state employees can return the completed Form 1 to their GIC Coordinator.



Retired state employees should mail Form 1A to the GIC:

P.O. Box 8747
Boston, MA 02114

More info about Enroll in, change, or cancel life insurance

The Commonwealth offers $5,000 of Basic Life Insurance to all active state employees and most retirees who have health coverage through the GIC. Optional Life Insurance is available to active state employees and retired state employees.

Smoker status: At initial enrollment or during Annual Enrollment, if you have been tobacco-free (have not smoked cigarettes, cigars or a pipe nor used snuff, chewing tobacco or a nicotine delivery system) for at least the past 12 months, you are eligible for reduced non-smoker Optional Life Insurance rates. You will be required to periodically recertify your non-smoking status in order to qualify for the lower rates. Changes in smoking status made during Annual Enrollment will become effective July 1, 2018.

Retirement: Before retirement, you should review the amount of your Optional Life Insurance coverage and its cost to determine whether it will make economic sense for you to keep it or reduce your amount of coverage. Talk with a financial advisor about other programs that might be more beneficial at retirement. If you make no change to your Optional Life Insurance coverage at retirement, you will be responsible for the retiree Optional Life Insurance premium, which can be substantial. Optional Life Insurance rates significantly increase when you retire, and continue to increase based on your age.

Decrease or Cancel Coverage: If you are an active employee and want to decrease or drop optional life insurance at any time during the year, complete the Enrollment/Change Form-1 and give it your GIC Coordinator. Retirees may decrease or drop coverage at any time by sending the completed form to the GIC.

Smoker status changes made during Annual Enrollment will be effective July 1.  You will periodically be asked to recertify your smoker status.

Cancellation and coverage change effective dates are determined by the GIC upon receipt of completed form.

Life Insurance and Leaving State Service:  Active employees who leave state service can take advantage of the following options:  

  • Portability – Continue your basic and/or Optional Life Insurance at the group rate. Eligibility for portability ends at normal Social Security retirement age.
  • Conversion – Convert your life insurance coverage to a non-group policy.

Downloads for Enroll in, change, or cancel life insurance

Contact for Enroll in, change, or cancel life insurance

Street Address
19 Staniford St, Boston, MA 02114
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 8747, Boston, MA 02114
Operations (617) 227-2681
Executive (617) 227-5181
Fiscal (617) 367-9874


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think