Contact for Governor Robert F. Bradford Fellowship Program
HR Talent Development Unit
The Details of Governor Robert F. Bradford Fellowship Program
What you need for Governor Robert F. Bradford Fellowship Program
How to apply Governor Robert F. Bradford Fellowship Program
Governor Robert F. Bradford Fellowship Program
Step 1 - Admission to the Harvard Kennedy School (HKS)
The HKS catalogues and admission application packages are available at: http://www.hks.harvard.edu/.
Step 2 - Submit online application to HKS Admissions Office
Completed applications for admission must be submitted online directly to the Admissions Office at the Harvard Kennedy School by TBD. Please mark the HKS application as "Bradford Applicant” in the sponsorship section. The HKS admission application is not sent to HRD.
- Schedule a date to take the GRE (http://www.ets.org/gre). Test scores will be available at conclusion of exam and the official scores will be sent to the Kennedy School admissions office within 15-20 days.
Step 3 - Bradford Fellowship Application
The Bradford Fellowship Online Application must be submitted online and all required forms and signatures must be submitted directly to the Human Resources Division by 4:30PM, TBD.
Note in order to be considered for the Bradford Fellowship, applicants first must be accepted for admission by Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, for its Mid-Career MPA Program.
Next steps for Governor Robert F. Bradford Fellowship Program
In addition to completing the Harvard Bradford Fellowship Program online application, all applicants must ensure the submission of the Supervisor Letter of Recommendation Form and the Leadership Commitment Form by 4:30PM, TBD.
- Harvard Bradford Fellowship Program Supervisor Letter of Recommendation (Online Form)
All applicants are required to obtain a letter of recommendation from their supervisor and submit to HRD by the designated deadline.
- The Leadership Commitment Form must be signed by the applicant’s supervisor, agency HR Director and Agency Head; and mailed to HRD by the designated deadline. NOTE: the form submission must include all original signatures.
Harvard Bradford Fellowship Committee
Human Resources Division
One Ashburton Place, Room 301
Boston, MA 02108
More info about Governor Robert F. Bradford Fellowship Program
Eligibility & Exclusions
An applicant for the Bradford Fellowship Program must:
- Be a college graduate.
- Have taken the GRE (or GMAT) within the last five years; or schedule a date to take the test by calling 800-473-2255.
- Be accepted for admission by Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, for its Mid-Career MPA Program;
- Upon application, occupy a full time position, be paid from the AA subsidiary, have at least twelve (12) months of full-time service with the Commonwealth, be in an active status, classified as management at levels MV - MXII within the Executive Branch, or be a member of the Massachusetts State Police Department classified as a Lieutenant or above.
- Possess at least seven years of professional work experience in federal, state, municipal or county government, including time spent as a consultant or volunteer for a public and/or private non-profit organization; or as a manager in a private non-profit organization.
- Be recommended by the appointing authority and supervisor.
- Be willing to sign an agreement to serve in Massachusetts State Government in the Commonwealth in the same or higher level management grade for a minimum of two years following graduation, or to repay the salary received while attending the program if one defaults on this agreement. This repayment provision will not apply if the individual is not offered a position at the same or higher-level management grade.
- Not have applied for the Bradford Fellowship more than three (3) times.
- Applicants who hold a graduate degree must specifically address what an MPA would offer them that their current graduate degree does not, in reaching their management career goals.
- The following other categories of employees are excluded:
- Contract employees
- Employees in non-management positions
- Employees classified below Lieutenant
- Employees in positions classified at level MV who occupy a qualifying position in an "acting" capacity are excluded from participation in the program
- Employees appointed directly by the Governor; whose salary, by statutory requirement, is set by the Governor
- Employees employed by the Office of the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, State Auditor, Attorney General and State Treasurer
- Employees in public institutions of Higher Education Employed by in Legislative and Judicial branches
- Employed by Massachusetts public authorities or other quasi-public agencies
- Employed by county government organizations