Learn how to pay your personal income tax
What you need
You can choose from several different payment options:
- Electronic Funds Transfer (ACH Debit)
- Credit card
- Check or
- Money Order.
You will need the following:
- Your legal name
- Your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Your payment voucher if you are making a bill payment.
You can find your payment voucher attached to your tax billing notice. If you're making estimated tax payments, you can find estimated tax payment vouchers here.
Please read the following carefully and choose the best payment option for yourself.
Estimated tax payments can also be made electronically.
How to pay
Department of Revenue recommends using MassTaxConnect to make tax payment online. You can make your personal income tax payments without logging in. You can use your credit card or Electronic Fund Transfer (ACH Debit) from either your checking or saving account. Note that there is a fee for credit card payments.
- Go to MassTaxConnect
- Click “Make a Payment”
- Click “Individual Payment”
- Enter your SSN or ITIN and choose the type of tax payment you want to make.
- Choose your payment method and enter the required information.
- Click Submit.
- Review your payment and click “OK”.
You can send us a check or money order through the mail to make your income tax payment.
When you make a payment by sending a paper check, be sure to enclose your payment voucher with it.
You can find your payment voucher attached to your tax billing notice.
If you're making estimated tax payments, you can find estimated tax payment vouchers here. The correct mailing address will be printed on your payment voucher.
To make your tax bill payments, send your payment to the address printed on your voucher.
To make personal income estimated tax payments:
P.O. Box 419540
Boston, MA 02241-9540
If you can’t make your tax payment in full, you can set up a payment plan online through MassTaxConnect. Payment plans are generally limited to 36 months. To set up a payment plan, you need to:
- Log into MassTaxConnect. If you don't have a MassTaxConnect account, choose “Create my username” to set up one.
- Under the “I WANT TO” tab, choose the option “Request a Payment Plan.”