Register as a certifying health care provider with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program
Medical Use of Marijuana Program
What you need
Please review the Department of Public Health's guidance for health care providers on the medical use of marijuana.
To register as a certifying health care provider with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program, you must be a Massachusetts-licensed physician or Certified Nurse Practitioner (CNP). Specific requirements for each health care provider type are listed below.
To register as a certifying physician in the Medical Use of Marijuana Online System (MMJ Online System), you must:
- Be a Massachusetts-licensed physician (MD or DO);
- Hold an active full license with no prescribing restrictions;
- Hold a Massachusetts Controlled Substances Registration (MCSR); and
- Have at least one established place of practice in Massachusetts
To register as a Certified Nurse Practitioner in the Medical Use of Marijuana Online System (MMJ Online System), you must:
- Be a Massachusetts-licensed Certified Nurse Practitioner (CNP);
- Hold an active license with no prescribing restrictions;
- Hold a Board Authorization by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing to practice as a CNP;
- A Massachusetts Controlled Substances Registration (MCSR); and
- Submit an attestation by the CNP’s supervising physician that the CNP is certifying patients for the medical use of marijuana according to their agreed upon guidelines.
When registering, you will need:
- Your Board of Registration in Medicine number (Physicians only)
- Your Board of Registration in Nursing number (CNPs only)
- Your Massachusetts Controlled Substances Registration (MCSR) number
The MMJ Online System is housed within the Executive Office of Health and Human Services Virtual Gateway (VG) portal. Health care providers must use a VG account to access the MMJ Online System.
For full details, see health care providers step-by-step registration information.
How to register
To register as a certifying health care provider, contact the Medical Use of Marijuana Program (Program) at (617) 660-5370 to request the paperwork required to register with the Virtual Gateway (VG).
You will be asked to provide your Board of Registration in Medicine or Board of Registration in Nursing number and your MCSR number over the phone. Please have these available.
The Program will then send you the VG registration paperwork for your organization’s Access Administrator to complete. You will receive the following forms to complete:
- Access Administrator Designation Form
Please write 'Medical Use of Marijuana Online System' on the Virtual Gateway Business Service(s) line at the top of this form. An organization is required to designate at least one Access Administrator. An Access Administrator is a member of the organization who is responsible for arranging access to the VG for health care provider who are members of that organization.
- Virtual Gateway Services Agreement (VGSA)
- User Request Form (URF)
This form is used to designate the health care provider(s) in your organization that will have access to the MMJ Online System.
For full details, see health care provider step-by-step registration information.
Mail the completed and signed VGSA and Access Administrator Designation Form to:
Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Medical Use of Marijuana
99 Chauncy Street, 11th Floor
Boston, MA 02111
Complete and save the URF in Excel format and email to:
Once all completed forms are received, it may take up to 2-3 weeks to establish a VG account. The health care provider(s) listed on the URF will receive an email with VG registration instructions once all paperwork has been processed.
After receiving the Virtual Gateway registration instructions via email, you may log in to the Virtual Gateway with your username and password and select Medical Use of Marijuana System. Please note that the registration link in this email will expire in 7 days.
You will need to use this username and password to log in to the MMJ online system via the Virtual Gateway in the future after you have completed your registration.
Once you have logged in to the system:
- Click the Register link
- Enter the requested information
- Read the attestations at the bottom of the page. Check the boxes to confirm that you understand and agree with each attestation. Click Proceed to continue.
- You will be directed to a Registration Confirmation page that will list your registration number. Select OK.
You are now officially registered in the MMJ Online System. You will receive your registration confirmation via email and may now certify qualifying patients for the medical use of marijuana.
Address99 Chauncy St., 11th Floor, Boston, MA 02111