Register for Basic School Resource Officer Certification
Contact for Register for Basic School Resource Officer Certification
Kevin Donnelly, Specialized Programs Coordinator
The Details of Register for Basic School Resource Officer Certification
What you need for Register for Basic School Resource Officer Certification
This program is designed for any law enforcement officer with two years or less experience working in an educational environment and school administrators.
Attire: Business casual
Contact: Kevin Donnelly
February 18 - 22, 2019
|Andover Police Department|
|April 15 - 19, 2019||Foxboro Police Department|
Attendees will gain a solid working knowledge of the School Resource Officer concept and how to establish a lasting partnership with their schools. Below is an outline of primary topics covered:
- Foundations of School Based Law Enforcement
- Ethics and the SRO
- The SRO as a Teacher/Guest Speaker
- Understanding Special Needs Students
- Social Media
- School Law
- The SRO as an Informal Counselor/Mentor
- Understanding the Teen Brain
- Violence and Victimization: Challenges to Development
- Sex Trafficking of Youth
- Effects of Youth Trends and Drugs on the School Culture and Environment
- Threat Response: Preventing Violence in School Settings
- School Safety and Emergency Operations Plans
- Crime Prevention through Environmental Design
The course is taught on a five day, eight hour format. Classes begin promptly at 8:30 am each morning and run through 4:30 pm each day. Attendees are required to attend all sessions in order to obtain the National School Resource Officer Basic Course Certificate. There is a written examination, multiple discussions, and at least one graded practical exercise for each student.
Fees for Register for Basic School Resource Officer Certification
There is no cost to attend this program.
How to register Register for Basic School Resource Officer Certification
- Download and complete the MPTC Professional Development Training Application (Internet Explorer required)
- E-mail to Kevin.M.Donnelly@mass.gov
- A confirmation will be sent to the e-mail address provided on the application.