WS 26: Sale or Acquisition of Land for Water Supply Purposes

Approval to sell or get land for water supply purposes

MassDEP Drinking Water Program

The Details

What you need

This approval consists of an approval to sell or acquire land for water supply purposes. Legislative authority is stated in MGL Chapter 40 section 41 and Chapter 111 section 160A. Regulatory authority is stated in 310 CMR 22.03 of the Drinking Water Regulations. This permit protects public health and welfare by ensuring that the sale or acquisition of land for water supply purposes will meet minimum drinking water standards and guidelines, and will not adversely impact the quantity or quality of the water supply.

Public water suppliers or their representatives must apply if they want to sell or acquire land for water supply purposes.

Note: Approvals of this type may require MEPA review. Please carefully examine 301 CMR 11.00, the MEPA Regulations, to determine if your project exceeds the MEPA review thresholds, or for more information contact the MEPA Unit of the Executive Office of Environmental Affairs (100 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02202; 617-727-5830). MassDEP cannot issue a final determination on an application until the MEPA process has been completed, unless otherwise agreed to in writing. Copies of MEPA filings (with reference to any applicable Transmittal numbers) should be sent to the appropriate program offices in Boston and the MEPA Coordinator in the appropriate Regional Office.

Note: These additional requirements are intended to serve as a guide to the applicant, and do not necessarily include all additional requirements. Refer to Section 4.14 of Guidelines and Policies for Public Water Systems .

How to apply

See details below.

Next steps

  1. Review the Instructions

    Guidance on how to prepare your application, including a completeness checklist.

  2. Complete the Application Form

    You may fill out and save the Microsoft Word form on your computer.  The PDF version has to be printed out and completed by hand.

  3. Obtain a Transmittal Form and Number

    A unique Transmittal Number is needed for each application you submit to MassDEP.

  4. Lookup the Permit Application Fee

  5. Mail Your Application and Fee Payment

    Submit your application fee payment and a copy of your Transmittal Form to:

    Department of Environmental Protection
    PO Box 4062
    Boston, MA 02211

    Submit your completed, signed application and your original Transmittal Form to the appropriate MassDEP Regional Office (see listing below).


MassDEP Boston
1 Winter Street, Boston, MA 02108


Tell us what you think