MassBays is producing a suite of tools and trainings to help community-based monitoring groups collect data that can be used for decision making, and for our own State of the Bays reporting. Completed components include:
- An online application, AquaQAPP to help project managers develop quality assurance project plans that are considered pre-approved by MassDEP and should be acceptable to EPA Region 1.
- A web-based Ecohealth Tracking Tool for visualizing water quality and habitat conditions and trends.
- A circuit rider program to provide one-on-one technical support, develop and present training workshops, and connect local groups to national resources.
- Training to facilitate uploading community-generated data to WQX, EPA's national data management and archiving system.
The following is in development:
- A suite of R-based tools that will help monitoring groups carry out the following for commonly monitored water quality parameters (e.g. dissolved oxygen, temperature, conductivity, bacteria, nutrients, etc.):
- Simple quality control checks prior to sharing with agencies.
- Data analysis protocols (to be identified through a needs assessment of target users).
- Produce shareable data visualizations.
Consider subscribing to the Monitoring Coordinators' Network newsletter for updates on this and other initiatives!
For more information, contact Jill Carr.