Frequently Asked Questions for Landlords about Accepting State Funded Rental Assistance

As a landlord, get answers to questions about accepting state funded rental assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Table of Contents

What funding is available through state-funded emergency housing payment assistance programs?

Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) Program 

The RAFT program helps keep households in stable housing situations when facing eviction, loss of utilities, and other housing emergencies. RAFT helps all kinds of households by providing up to $10,000, within a 12-month period, to help preserve current housing or move to new housing. RAFT can cover utilities, moving costs, and overdue rent costs, as well as future rent in limited situations.

Can a landlord apply for RAFT?

Landlords can apply directly for rental assistance on behalf of eligible residents. For more information about how to apply, please visit our landlord page.

If I am a landlord who agrees to accept funding, do I lose my right to evict the tenant?

  • A landlord who accepts RAFT funding does not lose the ability to file for eviction due to lease violations that may occur in the future.  

  • The landlord may file for eviction under the following situations:   
    • During (or after) the RAFT benefit period, the tenant violates a lease clause that is unrelated to payment of rent.  

    • During (or after) the RAFT benefit period, the tenant does not meet the monthly rent payment obligation that is stated in the agreement.  

    • After the end of the RAFT benefit period, the tenant does not pay rent or otherwise violates the lease.  

Does a landlord have to agree to a proposed settlement that would involve forgiveness of arrearages?

Or acceptance of reduced rent for the period of the agreement?

Forgiveness of arrearages or acceptance of reduced rent are not program requirements.  

What happens if a tenant moves out of the unit before the RAFT agreement ends?

  • The rental assistance agreement includes the following line: “If the Participant's tenancy is terminated prior to the period for which any monthly rental stipend payments were made, I agree to return the unused balance of said funds to the Agency.”    

  • The onus is on the landlord to report a move-out to the Regional Administering Agency.   

If a tenant’s income increases, does the rental assistance agreement change?

No, the agreement signed by the tenant and landlord remains in effect for its stated term, unless the parties agree to amend it.    

What if a tenant loses income and can’t afford the rent they agreed to pay in the agreement?

The tenant should contact the landlord and rental assistance agency. If both parties are amenable to changing the agreement, the tenant would not have to reapply, but they would need to execute a new agreement. The new agreement would still need to comply with all RAFT requirements. 

What should I expect when my tenant applies for emergency housing payment assistance?

Visit this page to understand what to expect when you or your tenant applies for emergency housing payment assistance.

Last updated: November 30, 2021

Help Us Improve with your feedback