June 19, 2020 Order
In light of the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) health crisis, the Appellate Division of the Superior Court hereby ORDERS that, with regard to its November 2020 sitting:
- Represented appellants will appear before the Appellate Division physically only if, after hearing, the Appellate Division determines to revise their prison sentence.
- In advance of the hearing, defense counsel are required to meet with their clients (either physically or virtually) for the purpose of reviewing with them the function of the Appellate Division and its authority to reduce or increase a prison sentence if the sentence is deemed inappropriate.
- At the time of the hearing, defense counsel will acknowledge on the record that they discussed the function and authority of the Appellate Division with their clients, that their clients indicated their understanding of the function and authority of the Appellate Division, and that their clients wished to proceed with the appeal of their prison sentence.
August 14, 2020 Further Order
In light of the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) health crisis, the Appellate Division of the Superior Court hereby further ORDERS that, with regard to its November 2020 sitting:
- All hearings before the November 2020 sitting of the Appellate Division will be conducted remotely through the Zoom platform.
- At least two (2) weeks in advance of the hearing, each party will submit electronically any and all materials he/she wishes the Appellate Division to consider, with a copy thereof to be transmitted to the opposing party.
- The Clerk of the Appellate Division will provide counsel with the Zoom link at least two (2) days before the hearing.
|Date published:||June 19, 2020|
|Last updated:||August 17, 2020|