Log in links for this page

This page, Road test requirements for passenger, motorcycle, and commercial licenses, is part of
This page, Road test requirements for passenger, motorcycle, and commercial licenses, is offered by

Road test requirements for passenger, motorcycle, and commercial licenses

After obtaining your learner's permit, you will need to pass a road test in order to obtain a driver's license.

Table of Contents

Passenger (Class D) road test

Applicant requirements

For a Class D road test you will need:

If you are under 18 years of age:

The application must be signed by one of the following:

  • A parent
  • A legal guardian
  • Department of Children and Families
  • A boarding school headmaster

If the person signing the application is not a parent, proper documentation must be shown at the time of the road test to prove that the person is qualified to sign.

Sponsor requirements

Your sponsor must:

  • Be 21 years of age or older
  • Have at least 1 year of driving experience
  • Be duly licensed by his/her state of residence

They must also have their valid driver's license for the examiner to review.

Vehicle requirements

State vehicles, with limited exceptions, are being used for the foreseeable future to conduct road tests to ensure the health and safety of our employees, customers, and their sponsors. Vehicles will be cleaned and disinfected between tests. Both the examiner, the student taking the test, and the qualified sponsor are required to wear facial coverings for the duration of the test.

You can attempt no more than 6 Class D road tests in a 12-month period.

Vehicles with an Ignition Interlock Device (IID)

Applicants who must take a road test as part of their license reinstatement process are required to provide an acceptable vehicle for the road test. Generally, this vehicle must have an accessible console brake and a seat for the sponsor.

  • Vehicles with an IID, a center console brake, and sponsor seating: If you own a vehicle that is equipped with an IID,  has a center console brake, and has a seat for a sponsor, you can schedule your road test online
  • Vehicles with an IID, NO center console brake, or NO sponsor seating: If you own a vehicle  that has an IID and no center console, or no seat for a sponsor, you cannot schedule your road test using this online option. You must call the RMV’s Automated Service Line at 866-MASSRMV (866-627-7768) and request a supervisor to call you back to schedule your road test. 

Additional Resources

Motorcycle (Class M) road test

Applicant requirements

For a Class M road test you will need:

If you are under 18 years of age:

  • You must successfully complete a Massachusetts Rider Education Program (MREP) basic rider course
  • Complete all junior operator requirements

Vehicle requirements

Your motorcycle must:

  • Be safe and in good working order - the road test will be canceled if the Examiner believes the motorcycle is unsafe
  • Have a valid registration document
  • Have a valid inspection sticker
  • If the motorcycle is registered out-of-state, the customer will have to show the examiner proof of insurance coverage equal to Massachusetts’ minimum limits, which are $20,000/$40,000 for bodily injury and $5,000 for property damage. A policy or a certificate that lists limits of coverage serves as proof of the vehicle's insurance.

A customer who takes a road test on a limited use vehicle or 3-wheeled vehicle (trike) will receive a Class M license with a “U” restriction with the following description:

  • “Motorcycle — limited use vehicle only” or
  • "Motorcycle — limited to 3-wheels only"

With this restriction, a customer will only be allowed to use the Class M license to operate a limited-use vehicle or a 3-wheel motorcycle.

You do not need a sponsor for a Class M road test.

If you fail 2 Class M road tests, you must enroll in and successfully complete the RMV approved beginner rider course (MREP).

You do not have to take a Class M road test if you have successfully completed the RMV approved beginner rider course (MREP), unless you are under 18 years of age.

Additional Resources

Commercial (Class A, B, C) road test

Applicant requirements

For a commercial driver's license (CDL) road test, you will need:

  • A current driver's license, if you are seeking additional endorsements.
  • A valid CLP permit, with proper endorsements for the vehicle used.
  • A valid Department of Transportation (DOT) medical card or medical waiver.
  • A completed CDL road test application
  • If you answered yes to question 7, 8, or 10 on the road test application, the application must be approved by an RMV service center Manager or an authorized RMV employee before the road test.
  • A CDL self-certification form.

If you are 18 or older, you can apply for an intrastate (MA only) CDL at any RMV location. If you are 21 or older, you can apply for an interstate (all states) CDL at any RMV location. To be eligible, you must not have had your driver’s license or right to operate revoked by the Registrar.

For a Class A CDL application, you need the concurrent endorsement tests as well. If you are updating from a Class D license to a Class C, then there is no road test requirement unless the endorsement requires one. Passenger, air brake, and school bus endorsements require road tests.


Sponsor requirements

Your sponsor must:

  • Be at least 21 years old.
  • Have a valid U.S. commercial driver's license with proper endorsements for the class of vehicle that you are using.
  • Have held a CDL for at least one year.
  • Have a current DOT medical card (sponsors must have their current DOT medical card in their possession, if they are required to have on).

Vehicle requirements

Vehicles used for a Class A, B, or C road test must meet the following requirements:

  • Represent the type and class of vehicle you will be driving when you receive your CDL.
    • For a Passenger (P) Endorsement, the applicant must have the appropriate class vehicle designed to carry 16 or more passengers, including the driver.
  • Be able to pass a safety check
  • Vehicles with unstable, dangerous, or HAZMAT loads will be rejected.
    • The vehicle must be completely free of hazardous material
  • Have a valid registration and current inspection sticker
  • Have adequate seating next to the operator for the use of the examiner
  • Have a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) on the vehicle, appropriate for the class of license for which you are applying.
    • If there is no GVWR on the vehicle, you must have a document from the manufacturer or a motor vehicle dealer proving the GVWR

For out of state, trailers, and semi-trailers:

  • Carry proof of insurance coverage in the form of a policy or letter from the insurance company specifying the limits of coverage. The insurance coverage must be equal to Massachusetts minimum requirements of $20,000/$40,000 bodily injury and $5,000 property damage coverage for the vehicle's use in Massachusetts (no faxes or photocopies).

For rental vehicles:

  • Have the rental agreement and written permission on the rental company's letterhead authorizing use of the vehicle for the road test.



Important Information

ATTENTION: Applicants who obtained a learner's permit BEFORE 3/26/18 and will not take a road test until AFTER 3/26/18.

Beginning March 26, 2018, getting a driver’s license will require additional documentation to prove U.S. Citizenship or lawful presence in the United States.

In order to be eligible for a REAL ID or Standard driver’s license, you must prove both lawful presence and a valid stay of at least 12 months in the U.S. Passing the road test alone will NOT make you a licensed driver.  You will remain a learner’s permit holder until you have passed the road test, paid all fees, and provided the required documentation. Visit mass.gov/id for more information.

Cancelled Road Tests

You can find out if your road test has been canceled by checking for an alert posted on Mass.gov/rmv or call the RMV contact center.

You will still be charged for a road test if you:

  • Fail
  • Are unprepared; for example, your vehicle fails to pass the examiner’s inspection
  • Do not bring a qualified sponsor
  • Do not appear or are late
  • Cancel or reschedule your test with less than 72 hours notice

Road tests will be automatically canceled when:

  • The Governor declares a state of emergency for the entire state.
  • The Governor declares a state of emergency in a certain region of the state (only road tests in this region will be canceled).

What if there is bad weather at the same time as my road test?

Some weather events allow the RMV to make road test cancellations in advance, such as the night before an exam. Other weather events may impact areas of the state differently and decisions on whether tests can move forward is dependent upon localized conditions and storm clean-up activities. We may need to make last minute decisions on cancellations based on safety and we appreciate your understanding.

In the event of severe weather, the RMV’s Road Test Examiners assess the roadway conditions along the test routes prior to giving any road tests. This assessment is done to ensure safety of the applicant and examiner and to determine if a valid test can be performed in the current road and weather conditions.

Applicants with a test scheduled during business hours are encouraged to check for updates on the RMV’s Cancellations and Closures page for information related to their scheduled test time and location before traveling to the testing location. The RMV will email impacted customers directly as soon as possible about a cancellation. Any tests cancelled by the RMV due to weather may be rescheduled free of charge.

Applicants testing through the alternative hours program through a driving school, should contact their driving school directly to ask if road conditions are impacting their scheduled road test.  

Failed Road Tests

If you fail your road test, you must wait 2 weeks before taking another road test.

Common Reasons for Failing a Road Test

  • You were at fault in a crash with another motor vehicle, pedestrian, or object.
  • You were driving in a way that may have caused a crash or in a way the examiner considered dangerous.
  • You violated a motor vehicle law, rule, or regulation.
  • You demonstrated a lack of experience safely operating a motor vehicle.
  • You refused to follow or drove contrary to the examiner’s instructions.

Note: The RMV has a zero tolerance policy for violent or abusive conduct by road test applicants and sponsors.

Class D and M Road Test Sites


Class D and M Road Test Sites


Braintree RMV

10 Plain St.

Braintree, MA 02184

Brockton RMV


490 Forest Ave.

Brockton, MA 02301

Chicopee RMV

No Motorcycle

1011 Chicopee St.

Chicopee, MA 01013

Danvers RMV

8 Newbury St.

Danvers, MA 01923

Easthampton RMV

No Motorcycle

116 Pleasant St.

Easthampton, MA 01027

Fall River RMV

No Motorcycle

1794 North Main St.

Fall River, MA 02720



18 Miner St.

Greenfield, MA 01301

Haverhill RMV


229c Lincoln Avenue

Haverhill, MA 01830

Lawrence RMV

No Motorcycle


73 Winthrop Ave.

Lawrence, MA 01843

Leominster RMV

No Motorcycle

500 Research Drive

Leominster, MA 01453

Lowell RMV

No Motorcycle

77 Middlesex St.

Lowell, MA 01851


No Motorcycle


325 Broad St.

Lynn, MA 01901

Parking is on Market street

Under over pass

Martha’s Vineyard

Tuesdays Only


11 A Street

Edgartown, MA 02539

Milford RMV

No Motorcycle

14 Beach St.

Milford, MA 01757

Nantucket RMV

 Fridays Only:

Must visit the Nantucket service center to schedule.

16 Broad St.

Nantucket, MA 02554

New Bedford RMV

No Motorcycle

212 Theodore H. Rice Blvd

New Bedford, MA 02740

North Adams RMV


33 Main St.

North  Adams, MA 01247

Pittsfield RMV


 333 East St.

Pittsfield, MA 01201

Plymouth RMV


40 Industrial Park Rd.

Plymouth, MA 02360

Southbridge RMV

No Motorcycle

6 Larochelle Way

Southbridge, MA 01550


Motorcycle Only


353 Main St

Sturbridge, MA 01566.

(Junction of  RTE#20 & RTE#131) 

South Yarmouth RMV


1084 Route 28

S. Yarmouth, MA 02664

Springfield RMV


1250 St. James Ave.

Springfield, MA 01104

Taunton RMV

No Motorcycle

1 Washington St.

Taunton, MA 02780

Watertown RMV


550 Arsenal St.

Watertown, MA 02472

Wilmington RMV


355 Middlesex Ave.

Wilmington, MA 01887

Worcester RMV


611 Main St.

Worcester, MA 01608

Westfield City Hall

No Motorcycle


59 Court St.

Westfield, MA 01085





Ask the RMV Ask the RMV