Daytime Paving Operations in Weymouth, September 18
MassDOT’s contractor will close Pond Street southbound (Route 58) at the intersection of Route 18 on Friday, September 18, from 6:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Drivers should follow detour signs to Oak Street or Route 139 during this work.
Monday, September 14 to Friday, September 18, 2020
P. Gioioso & Sons Work:
- Continue bridge steel erection during day and night shift. Expected to finish this week.
- Continue decking and form work during day shift. Continue deck rebar placement. Targeting deck placement for September 22.
- Continue pavement removal for road widening, north of Shea Drive to Pleasant Street, west side. Pave on Friday.
- Continue wingwall and retaining wall work at north abutment.
- Install traffic conduits at Fire Station.
- Continue excavation and gravel placement for west road widening, from Oak Street to Route 139 in Abington.
- Continue curb work at Pond Street in Weymouth and various locations in Abington.
- Pave sidewalks and driveways at various locations and spread loam at back of sidewalks.
- •Install drainage work at Newbert Avenue and Alroy Road in Weymouth, in front of Highland Cemetery.
Other Utilities Work:
- Verizon to continue underground cable relocations in Weymouth, near Derby Street and at Front Street.
- NGrid Gas to continue next section of gas main work in Abington, south of Vineyard Road to Route 139, and at Front Street.
Traffic Information overview
MassDOT will maintain one lane of travel, in both directions, throughout construction.
The project requires three weekend shutdowns of the MBTA Kingston/Plymouth Commuter Rail line. The shutdowns are necessary for the contractor to safely replace the bridge that carries Route 18 over the railroad. MassDOT and the MBTA are coordinating closely with the contractor. The project team will announce the shutdowns with advance notice. During the shutdown, MassDOT will detour traffic from Route 18 onto Pond Street. Buses will also replace trains on the MBTA Kingston/Plymouth Commuter Rail line. The MBTA and MassDOT encourage commuter rail passengers to use the Middleborough/Lakeville line during the three weekend shutdowns, if possible.
MassDOT's contractor, P. Gioioso & Sons, implemented a new traffic pattern to perform work at the Route 18 bridge over the Commuter Rail tracks. Lane widths have narrowed, with no shoulder in the work zone.
Underground utility work needed for road widening and new traffic signals is ongoing in several locations between the bridge over the MBTA Commuter Rail and Abington town line.
Relocation of utility poles and overhead wires is ongoing in several locations and may result in short-term service outages, as scheduled by utility companies with customers. This work will continue through 2020.
Roadway widening will begin after utility pole relocation in each section of the project corridor. Widening in Weymouth will continue in 2020, and will begin in with Abington scheduled for in 2020.
Boston, MA 02116