Route 1 Lane Capacity - Traffic Impacts
- Route 1 Northbound: Approaching the Tobin Bridge from Boston, the workzone begins in the left lane. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m.–10 p.m.)
- Route 1 Southbound: Approaching the Chelsea Curves from the North Shore, the workzone begins in the left lane before the Carter Street off-ramp. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m.–10 p.m.).
Local Street and Ramp Closures
- CARTER STREET RAMP WEEKEND CLOSURES: The Carter Street off-ramp was scheduled to be closed from 7AM on Friday 6/26 to 10PM on Sunday, 6/28. This closure has been postponed and the ramp will be open as normal during the dates referenced. Once a new temporary closure date has been set, it will be made available here.
- SILVER LINE SINGLE LANE BUS TRAFFIC: The Silverline busway will continue to have single lane bus traffic where the Line passes through the Silverline Gateway underneath the Chelsea Viaduct. Silverline service will be maintained without interruption or delay using alternating direction bus traffic.
- The single, alternating lane condition has now been extended through Friday, 7/11.
Most work will occur during daytime working hours (7 a.m.–3:30 p.m.) on weekdays. Some work will take place on a 2nd shift (2 p.m.–1 a.m.) and overnight hours (9 p.m.–5 a.m.) and on Saturdays (7 a.m.–7 p.m).
On-going and Scheduled Work
- Route 1 Northbound: Bridge deck and gutter repairs, deck removal, and paint inspections will take place in the left lane over the Tobin Bridge. We will continue to remove bridge deck and install new bridge deck through the Chelsea Curves.
- Route 1 Southbound: Removal of existing bridge deck and installation of new bridge deck will continue through the Chelsea Curves.
- Underneath Route 1: Crews will replace and paint steel; excavate, install new drainage structures and pipe, erect steel; During the period covered by this look ahead, concrete will be placed on the Tobin Bridge. While this concrete is curing, it will be kept wet. As such, at times, roadways under the structure may be observed to be wet. This is a normal part of the curing process.
Work Completed Over the Last 2 Weeks
In the two weeks prior June 28, crews continued demolition and installation of new bridge deck, repaired and erected steel, power washed and excavated support column footings, and placed concrete columns.
North Washington Street Bridge Replacement Project
The North Washington Street Bridge Replacement Project is also underway which requires local traffic impacts. For more information about this project, please visit the https://www.mass.gov/north-washington-street-bridge-replacement page.
Drivers should take care to pay attention to all signage and move carefully through the work zone. Police details, lane markings, temporary barriers, traffic cones, signage, and other tools will be used to control traffic and create safe work zones.
The contractors are coordinating with local event organizers and police to provide awareness and manage traffic during events. For your awareness, there are no events in TD Garden scheduled for this look ahead period.