Construction Look-Ahead: September 22 – October 5, 2019
This is a brief overview of construction operations and traffic impacts for the Tobin Bridge/Chelsea Curves Rehabilitation Project. MassDOT will provide additional notices as needed for high-impact work, temporary ramp and street closures, and changes to traffic configurations beyond those described below.
Most work will occur in during daytime working hours (6 a.m.–2 p.m.) on weekdays. Some work will take place during afternoon (2 p.m.-7 p.m) and overnight hours (7 p.m.–6 a.m.) and on Saturdays (7 a.m.–7 p.m).
Route 1 Lane Capacity - Traffic Impacts
- Route 1 Northbound: Approaching the Tobin Bridge from Boston, the workzone begins in the left lane and continues in the center lane. Local traffic headed to Chelsea must be in the right lane to access the Beacon Street off-ramp. After Beacon Street, the next opportunity to exit Route 1 Northbound will be at Webster Avenue. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m.–10 p.m.) and at least 1 travel lane will be open during overnight hours (10 p.m.–5 a.m.). Overnight on 9/8 after the last MBTA bus, the Beacon Street off-ramp will be closed until 5 a.m.
- Route 1 Southbound: Approaching the Chelsea Curves from the North Shore, the workzone begins in the right lane at the Carter Street off-ramp. Just beyond the Carter Street on-ramp, the travel lanes shift to the right. 2 of 3 travel lanes will be open during daytime hours (5 a.m. –10 p.m.) and at least 1 travel lane will be open during overnight hours (10 p.m.–5 a.m.).
Fourth Street Off-ramp Temporary Closure
As of July 15, the Fourth Street Off-ramp is closed for 2-3 months for steel repairs, structural rehabilitation, safety improvements, and installation of permanent crash barriers on both sides of the ramp.
Spruce Street Workzone Lane Reconfiguration
Spruce St. will be reconfigured for approximately 2-3 months and reduced by one turn lane from Beech St. to Sixth St. in the eastbound direction only. A concrete barrier will be installed to separate vehicular traffic and the work zone during the temporary configuration.
The temporary reconfiguration of Spruce Street will have no impacts to Route 1.
Carter Street Off-ramp Overnight Closure, September 17 - 18
The Carter Street off ramp from Route 1 Southbound will be closed from 10 p.m. on Tuesday, September 17 to 5 a.m. on Wednesday, September 18 to support the installation of pre-fabricated bridge units (PBUs).
Carter Street Workzone
Carter Street travel lanes will shift to the other side of the roadway on Tuesday, 9/24 to allow for a workzone on the eastbound side. Traffic will remain two-way and police details will be used to guide travelers.
On-going and Scheduled Work
- Route 1 Northbound: Set up fencing and dust screens. Bridge deck removal and repairs will continue on the right side of the workzone through the Chelsea Curves.
- Route 1 Southbound: painting of new deflector plates.
- Underneath Route 1: Replace and paint steel; continue installation of dust containment systems; power wash and paint columns and support beams; excavate, drill, and grout around support columns; erect steel; and place new concrete columns.
Work Completed over the last 2 weeks
In the two weeks prior to September 22, crews continued work on the bridge deck, repaired and erected steel, waterproofed bridge deck, installed dust containment systems, power washed and excavated support column footings, and placed concrete columns.
Drivers should take care to pay attention to all signage and move carefully through the work zone. Police details, lane markings, temporary barriers, traffic cones, signage, and other tools will be used to control traffic and create safe work zones.
The contractors are coordinating with local event organizers and police to provide awareness and manage traffic during events. For your awareness, the following events are scheduled during this look-ahead period:
- Red Sox (Fenway Park): 9/27 at 7:10 p.m., 9/28 at 1:05 p.m., 9/29 at 3:05 p.m.
- Bruins (TD Garden): 9/23 at 7 p.m., 9/25 at 7 p.m., 9/28 at 3 p.m.
- Concerts (TD Garden): 9/27 at 7 p.m., 10/1 at 7:30 p.m., 10/4 at 8 p.m.
The North Washington Street Bridge Replacement is also underway which requires local traffic impacts.