Annual Enrollment Checklist
- REVIEW THIS GUIDE TO IDENTIFY WHICH HEALTH INSURANCE PRODUCTS ARE OFFERED AND WHICH ONE IS THE BEST FOR YOU.
TIP: Use the locator map to find which products are offered in your area. Based on that, you can use the rate chart and the “Benefits-at-a-Glance” to determine which product is right for you.
MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR OPTIONS. For example, if you are a non-Medicare retiree, you may have the option to select a lower cost regional or limited network product. These products feature the same or better benefits as broad network products, but at a lower cost because they include a smaller network of providers (doctors and hospitals). For more information, visit our website: mass.gov/gic-annual-enrollment, or call us at 1.617.727.2310.
- CHECK WITH YOUR HEALTH AND OTHER INSURANCE CARRIERS ABOUT ANY PRODUCT OR TIER CHANGES. This includes questions about network coverage, providers, drug tiers, or wellness benefits.
- NEW HIRE? Check our website for Employment & Eligibility: bit.ly/gicnewhires.
- TURNING 65? Check our website for a video to guide you through the next steps, whether you’re retiring or not: bit.ly/gicturning65.
- SUBMIT ALL FORMS TO YOUR GIC COORDINATOR NO LATER THAN MAY 5, 2021. You may request and submit forms online using myGICLink (bit.ly/mygiclink). Forms are also available in PDF on the GIC website (bit.ly/gicforms). Changes go into effect July 1, 2021.
If you make no changes, your current GIC health, life, dental/vision, and LTD benefits will remain in place at the new rates effective July 1, 2021. You must re-enroll if you wish to participate in a health care or dependent care FSA in FY22.
- Annual enrollment is your once-a-year opportunity to change your health plan or coverage election.
- You may make certain changes to your elections within 60 days of a qualifying event. Qualifying events include marriage, birth/adoption, involuntary loss of other coverage, spouse’s Annual Enrollment or return from an approved FMLA or military leave. Your doctor or hospital leaving a network is not a qualifying event. For complete details, go to bit.ly/giclifeevents.
- New hires must enroll in coverage within the first ten days of employment.
- Doctors and hospitals within your network may change during the year. If your provider is no longer available, your health insurance carrier will help you find a new one.
- When checking provider coverage and tiers, specify the health insurance product’s full name, such as “Tufts Health Plan Spirit” or “Tufts Health Plan Navigator,” and not just “Tufts Health Plan.” Your health insurance carrier is the best source for this information.
- Do not enroll in a non-GIC Medicare Part D product. All GIC Medicare plans include Medicare Part D coverage. If you enroll in another Part D product, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services will disenroll you from your GIC coverage. This means that you will lose your GIC health, behavioral health and prescription drug benefits.