This page, What would you like to do?, is part of

What would you like to do?

Showing results

Apply for a motorcycle (Class M) learner’s permit 

To legally ride a motorcycle in Massachusetts, you must first apply for a motorcycle learner’s permit.

Massachusetts Identification (ID) Requirements 

Customers who renew for a ‘standard’ Massachusetts driver’s license or ID card online between June 12 and the end of the State of Emergency, will be able to upgrade to a REAL ID if they need it when the State of Emergency ends at no additional charge. The cost of a license or ID renewal is $50 for a ‘standard’ or REAL ID, while the amendment or upgrade fee waived by an Executive Order is $25.

To get a learner's permit, driver’s license, or Mass ID in Massachusetts, you’ll need to provide proof of citizenship or lawful presence, a Social Security number, and Massachusetts residency. Learn what documents you can use below.

You’ll also need to decide between a Standard driver’s license/ID and a REAL ID driver’s license/ID. REAL ID is a federal ID that you can use, beginning October 2021, to fly within the United States or enter federal buildings. To get one, you’ll need to provide additional documentation and come into an RMV service center. Learn more about REAL ID and whether or not you need one below.

Schedule your road test 

Ready to take a road test before getting your license? You can schedule your road test online.

Renew your driver's license 

The RMV has extended licenses that expire between March and August.

Pay your road test and/or driver's license fees 

Passenger (Class D) or motorcycle (Class M) learner's permit holders may avoid a trip to an RMV Service Center to have their license issued if all fees have been paid.

Replace your Class D, M, or Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) 

If your learner’s permit has been lost or stolen, you’ll need to replace it as soon as possible. You must have a valid learner’s permit in your possession to legally drive.

Change information on your driver's license or ID card 

If you are looking to change information on your driver's license, Mass ID, or Liquor ID you will need to notify the RMV.

Cancel your scheduled road test 

Need to cancel your scheduled road test? Avoid a fee and cancel at least 72 hours before your test.

Replace your driver's license 

If your driver's license has been lost or stolen, you’ll need to replace it as soon as possible. You must have a valid driver's license in your possession to legally drive.

Transfer your Motorcycle Rider Education Program (MREP) certificate from out-of-state 

The RMV recognizes most approved and certified motorcycle rider education programs in other states.

Check the status of your driver's license or Massachusetts ID (Mass ID) 

If you are unsure of your driver's license status, you can check with the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). You can also check the status of your Mass ID.

Register as an organ donor at the RMV 

Give the gift of life and become an organ donor.