- Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development
Media Contact for Baker-Polito Administration Awards nearly $800,000 in Workplace Safety Grants
Charles Pearce, Director of Communications - Exec. Office of Labor and Workforce Development
Boston — Baker-Polito Administration Awards nearly $800,000 in Workplace Safety Grants
Over 7000 employees to receive preventive workplace safety training.
Boston, MA – Today, the Baker-Polito Administration’s Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development announced a total of $799,662 in grant awards to 42 companies to train over 7000 workers through the Workplace Safety Training and Education Grant Program. These grants will provide Massachusetts companies with financial assistance to promote safe and healthy conditions in the workplace by funding preventative safety training and education programs.
“The Workplace Safety Grant program helps employers keep their workers safe through education and training initiatives that improve health outcomes and productivity,” said Governor Charlie Baker.
“Thousands of workers across the Commonwealth will now be able to feel safer in their jobs through these injury prevention measures,” said Lt. Governor Karyn Polito.
The Department of Industrial Accidents’ Office of Safety oversees the Workplace Safety Training and Education Grant program. The goal of this program is to promote safe and healthy conditions in the workplace through training, education, and other preventative programs for employees and employers covered by the Massachusetts Workers’ Compensation law.
“These safety trainings will help workers be more aware of their surroundings, safer on the job, and therefore more likely to succeed,” said Labor and Workforce Development Secretary Rosalin Acosta.
Occupational Safety Health Education and Training Program applications are reviewed and awarded on a rolling basis each fiscal year. To learn more about the Occupational Safety Health Education and Training Program, please visit www.mass.gov/dia/safety
2019 Grant Recipients:
- Fall River Electrical Associates Co., Inc. – Fall River, MA - $9,350 Fall River Electrical Associates is a small family owned third generation business who specializes in water and wastewater electrical projects throughout Massachusetts and provides upgrades to treatment plants, pump stations and water tanks and emergency generators. Their proposed training includes Fall Protection, Confined Space, Lockout Tagout and NFPA 70E Electrical Training.
- Skinner Services, Inc. – Avon, MA - $20,800 Skinner Demolition operates throughout New England. The company provides demolition services of any size in residential, commercial or industrial businesses. Their proposed training includes OSHA 10, OSHA 30, Fall Protection, Lead Safety, Hot Works, Workplace Violence Preventation and CPR/First Aid.
- Joyce Landscaping – Marston Mills, MA $25,000 Joyce Landscaping, Inc. designs, builds and maintains residential and commercial properties throughout southeastern Massachusetts. Projects include site development, landscape, hardscape, stonework, tree work, horticulture, property maintenance and more. The company operates a fleet of over seventy vehicles, and owns and operates machinery, tools and equipment to complete projects of any size. The proposed training includes OSHA 30, Trenching & Excavation, Safety for Hand & Power Tools, Crystalline Silica and Backhoe Loader Training.
- Cook Forest Products, Inc. – Upton, MA $19,400 Cook Landscape Products has been clearing, selling and manufacturing mulch for 20 years. Their proposed training includes Confined Space, Heart Saver /AED, Basic First Aid, OSHA 10, Wilderness First Aid, Incipient Fire w/ Live Burn, PPE, Hazard Communication, Electrical Safety, Ergonomics, Lockout Tagout, Hand & Power Tools and Chainsaw Safety.
- Worcester Envelope Co. – Auburn, MA $17,135 Worcester Envelope Company was founded in 1893 and based in Worcester until 1978, when a sustained period of growth created the need for a new facility which was built in nearby Auburn. Today, Worcester Envelope Company continues its focus on customers, but provides so much more than envelopes. It provides print and mail solutions which helps their customers grow. Their proposed training includes Fall Protection, Hazard Communication, Forklift, Confined Space, LOTO, First Aid/CPR.
- Mental Health Associates – Springfield, MA $21,800 Mental Health Association is a nonprofit provider of residential and support services to people impacted by psychiatric and/or developmental disabilities, traumatic brain injury, addiction and homelessness in the Pioneer Valley. MHA’s mission is to promote independence, wellness and sustained recovery. Given the vulnerability of staff working in potential volatile situations MHA will provide a FA/CPR Train the Trainer Program, De-escalation and Situational Safety Concept Training and Defensive and Distracted Driving will be provided to employees who transport clients.
- Town of Essex – Essex, MA $17,200 The Towns of Essex and Manchester by the Sea have the smallest population of the 4 Cape Ann communities. They have a long-standing partnership and history of collaboration, including successfully operating a regional school district. Their proposed training includes OSHA 10, LOTO, Confined Space, Fall Protection, Defensive Driving, PPE and Hearing Conservation for their DPW departments.
- Precision Wire Shapes, Inc. - West Brookfield, MA $3,395 Precision Shapes, Inc. began in what was an old corset factory and was built on providing shaped wire products to companies such as Bausch and Lomb, Lufkin Rule and Savage Arms. Today they service many different industries including security, architectural, construction, aerospace and medical. The proposed training includes First Aid/CP, Hazard Communication, LOTO, Overhead Crane, Forklift Driver Safety and Walking Working Surfaces.
- NEC Energy Solutions, Inc. - Westborough, MA $10,400 NEC Energy Solutions designs, manufactures, and integrates smart energy storage solutions for the electric grid and applications with critical power needs. The proposed training includes NFPA 70, Fall Protection, Forklift and Overhead Crane.
- City of Revere – Revere, MA $21,400 The City of Revere provides governmental services to the public and strives to protect the health and wellness of their community and employees. The city seeks to provide preventative training to their DPW employees which include Slips Trips and Falls, Hazardous Waste Material Storage, Defensive Driving, Work Zone Safety, Trenching & Excavation and Scaffold Training.
- Town of Carver – Carver, MA $9,500 The Town of Carver Operations and Maintenance Department provides building and grounds maintenance and repairs throughout town. Their proposed training includes Roadside Worker Safety, Ladder Safety, Eye and Face Protection, Chainsaw Safety, OSHA 10 and Evacuation & Trenching.
- Town of Sterling – Sterling, MA $12,400 Sterling is a small town in Central Mass. The DPW has charge of roads, water, cemeteries and all town properties. Their proposed training includes OSHA 10, First Aid/CPR, Excavation Competent Person, Road Worker Safety and UV Radiation.
- National Association of Social Workers – Boston, MA $24,750 National Association of Social Workers in MA works to enhance professional growth and development of its members. It has become evident that social workers and others are exposed to a high risk of violence against direct care service providers. This grant will offer tailored training sessions focused on the needs of individual agencies. The proposed training program includes safety essentials, violence assessment, verbal de-escalation techniques and how to handle the aftermath of an assault.
- Town of Canton – Canton, MA $ 22,904 The Town of Canton has 356 municipal employees in various departments including the DPW, Parks and Recreation, Public Library, Town Clerk, Building and Zoning. Their proposed training includes OSHA 10, OSHA 30, Work Zone Safety, Lock Out Tag Out, Respiratory Training, Fall Protection, Confined Space and Workplace Conflict & Violence.
- Town of Sandwich – Sandwich, MA $10,700 Town of Sandwich is a small town where a good portion of the employees work in the DPW and Facilities Departments. Many of the workers perform very hazardous jobs. Their proposed training includes OSHA 10, Manual Back Safety, Silica and Chainsaw Safety.
- Erving Industries, Inc. – Erving, MA - $17,850 Erving Industries, Inc. DBA Erving Paper Mills is an experienced paper mill that manufactures tissue and towel grade parent rolls. The products are made from 100% recovered paper. They also operate a wastewater treatment plant and power plant. The proposed training includes Electrical Safety, Lock Out Tag Out, Hazardous Material Handling and Confined Space Entry.
- McLane Research Laboratories, Inc. – East Falmouth, MA - $2,000 McLane Research Laboratories Inc. provides advanced time-series samplers and engineering design services to the international oceanographic community. Their product lines include a range of bio-geochemical oceanography sampling and profiling instruments for use in oceanographic research and environmental monitoring. Their proposed trainings include First Aid/CPR/AED and Fire Safety.
- Centro Las Americas – Worcester, MA – $24,200 CENTRO, formerly Centro Las Americas, is the largest minority led, community based multiservice cultural center whose mission is to empower and advocate for Latinos in the greater Worcester Community. Their primary purpose is to assist individuals and families to reach self-sufficiency. Everyday case managers and nursing staff visit homes or invite strangers into their offices without knowing what to expect. Workers will receive Workplace Safety De-escalation Training, Active Shooter/Intruder Training and FA/CPR with a Narcan overview. Training will be provided in Spanish and English.
- Massachusetts Technology Education – Ipswich, MA - $23,550 MassTEC is a professional organization of middle and high school Chemical Technology and Engineering teachers. The proposed training will educate teachers on chemical handling and storage, disposal of chemicals, eye and face protection and biological hazards and laboratory safety.
- Town of Salisbury - Salisbury, MA - $7,025 Town of Salisbury provides typical municipal services that include building and health inspections; road repairs, waste management and other services. Their proposed training includes De-Escalation, Injury Prevention, Industrial Hearing and Welding Equipment Safety.
- Town of Tewksbury – Tewksbury, MA - $14,856.50 Town of Tewksbury came together as a consolidated department known as the Department of Public Works today the DPW is made up of six divisions that include Administration, Engineering, Highway/Forestry, Water & Sewer, Fleet Maintenance, and Water Treatment. The proposed training includes Aerial Lift Safety, Operations & Rescue Techniques, Woodchipper Safety, Hazards & Dangers of Tree Cutting & Felling and Chainsaw Safety.
- Kraft Power Corporation – Woburn, MA - $3,000 Kraft Power Corporation has been a leader in the power generation service business since 1965. They are a major U.S. distributor for generators, engines, CHP equipment and heavy-duty power transmission products. The company performs scheduled and emergency generator services. The proposed training includes Hazardous Energy Control Standards, Lock Out Tag Out and Powered Generator Safety.
- IBEW 223 – Taunton, MA - $24,750 IBEW Local Union 223 is an Electrical Union located in Taunton, MA. The local performs every facet of the electrical industry from nuclear power stations to small construction projects. We are preparing our members for installation and maintaining wind turbines coming to the waters of southeastern Massachusetts. The proposed training includes Material Handling which encompasses safely transferring, lifting, balancing, loading and unloading of equipment from land to boat to tower. First Aid/CPR, Fire Awareness, Working from Heights, Proficiency in Sea Survival includes identifying potential storms, high wind conditions, and strategies for retreating, taking cover and personal survival techniques.
- CSI MFG, Inc. – Westborough, MA - $8,843 CSI is a contract manufacturer & distributor of custom design precision components and assemblies. Our markets include aerospace, fluid control, medical, military, oil & gas, robotics, telecom and test & measurement. The proposed training includes First Aid/CPR, Bloodborne Pathogens, Hazardous Communications, Forklift Training Ergonomics and Lock Out Tag Out.
- Mak Electric, LLC – North Dartmouth, MA - $11,000 MAK Electric is a growing electrical business that has been serving the state of Massachusetts for five years. MAK Electric prides itself in its meticulous work and hardworking dedicated employees. The company has completed jobs as small as switching out receptacles in residential homes to multi-million-dollar commercial renovations and additions. The proposed training includes OSHA 30, Aerial Lift, Defensive Driving and Lock Out Tag Out.
- May Institute/National Autism Center – Randolph, MA - $25,000 The May Institute provides compassionate and respectful care in all settings. Our mission is to teach boys, girls, men, and women with autism spectrum disorder and other developmental disabilities to gain important life skills and remain integrated in the community. Individuals that they serve have a potential for aggressive behaviors and may experience episodes of agitation, self- injury and other issues. Their proposed trainings will teach 481 employees the skills and abilities to prevent, manage and address behavioral crisis situations using the Safety Care Core of High Severity Behaviors Training.
- Signature Health Care – Brockton, MA - $22,000 Signature Healthcare is one of southeastern Massachusetts largest integrated healthcare systems with 2,500 employees serving 22 communities. Signature’s training proposal includes the use of the STAR Technique (Stop Think Act Review) a situational awareness training which will provide employees the skills to avoid accidents and disasters. The training will be provided in Spanish as well as English.
- Multi Grains, Inc. – Lawrence, MA - $24,000 Multi Grains, Inc. is a manufacturer of artisan bread products that has earned the company a leadership position in the retail baking industry. Located in Lawrence, Massachusetts, Multi Grains Inc. has employed over 300 employees in its history with a major recruiting concentration of local residents that have experienced difficult economic challenges. With the grant the company will be able to provide comprehensive preventative training that will include: OSHA 10, Injury Prevention and Ergonomics. Training will be provided in Spanish as well as English.
- City of Worcester – Worcester, MA - $18,000 The City of Worcester is the second largest city in the Commonwealth. The residents, taxpayers and business owners rely on the City to provide many essential services to the community such as public safety, education, public works, and health and human services. Their proposed training: Blood-borne Pathogens, Hazard Communication and Personal Protective Equipment will be provided to the Public Health Department, Parks and Recreation, Library and Asset Management staff who are exposed to needle sticks and bodily fluids.
- C.R.S., Inc. – N. Billerica, MA - $15,150 C.R.S. Inc. is a family owned and operated company that specializes in Refrigeration and HVAC installation repair and maintenance. CRS would like to provide their field staff with Personal Protective Equipment, OSHA, Lock Out Tag Out, Defensive Driving, Ladder Safety, Fall Protection, Electrical Hazards and Signal Person/Rigging Training.
- Green Town Labs, Inc. – Somerville, MA - $16,910 Greentown Labs is North America's largest clean-tech incubator providing co-located prototyping, laboratory and office space to serve the needs of cleantech entrepreneurs that need to build physical products. These companies have a broad range of work including Energy Distribution & Storage, Chemicals & Advanced Materials, Robotics/Automation and Wastewater Transportation. Proposed training includes: Laboratory Safety, OSHA 10, Chemical Handling and Storage and machine Shop Safety.
- City of Fall River – Fall River, MA - $9,000 The City of Fall River provides all aspects of government including schools, maintenance, road repair and general care for all parks, schools, streets, sidewalks and city owned buildings. The proposed training will be provided to over 150 employees in 51 departments the training includes Safe Forklift Operation, Ladder Safety, Skid Steer Loader, Hazard Communication, Gator Utility Training, First Aid and Aerial Lift Training.
- Town of Pembroke – Pembroke, MA - $24,950 The Town of Pembroke intends to use this grant to provide comprehensive preventative training to reduce their injury rate. The training will focus on the Highway, Water, Cemetery Tree and Ground employees. The proposed trainings include OSHA 10, Aerial Lift, Asbestos Awareness, Confined Space, Excavation and Trenching, Hazard Communication, Hoisting, First Aid/CPR & Hot works.
- Marshall Paper Tube Co., Inc. – Canton, MA - $8,292 Marshall Paper Tube Co., Inc. is a manufacturer of spiral and convolute paper tubes, spools, and die cut discs. The company's product, a disposable paper tube, is a vital part of packaging used by other manufacturers to deliver finished goods such as fabric, roofing, ribbon, steel and wire. The proposed training includes OSHA 10 General Industry, Industrial Safety & Rescue and First Aid/CPR.
- Town of Plympton – Plympton, MA - $9,960 The Town of Plympton is a small municipality in the county of Plymouth. The highway department is responsible for maintaining the cemetery, parks and recreation, highway, and transfer station. Their proposed trainings include OSHA 10, Trench Safety, First Aid/CPR and PPE.
- Walnut 65 Holdings AKA Tannin – Peabody, MA - $14,950 Tannin Corporation was founded in 1944 to manufacture and distribute leather chemicals to a large concentration of tanners in New England. Tannin intends to train its manufacturing and distribution employees in Health & Safety Awareness, Hazardous Material Handling and Industrial Ergonomics.
- Middlesex Corporation – Littleton, MA - $24,910 The Middlesex Corporation headquartered in Littleton is a leader in the heavy paving industry. They design, build, and reconstruct highways, bridges, marine, rail, and transit facilities and provide midstream gas and electrical distribution construction services. Their proposed training includes OSHA 10, First Aid/CPR, Excavation Safety, Aerial Scissor Lift, and Certified Rigger Training.
- Cavicchio Greenhouses, Inc. – Sudbury, MA - $25,000 Cavicchio Greenhouses, Inc. is a fourth-generation New England farm working more than 250 acres in Sudbury, Massachusetts. As a horticulture grower and landscape distributor, they cultivate and supply an extensive variety of annuals and perennials, nursery stock, stone, masonry and landscape materials. Their proposed training includes Confined Space, Fall Protection, Chemical Safety, Hazard Communication, Powered Industrial Truck, and Hoisting Training.
- Harvard University – Cambridge, MA - $16,245 Harvard University was established in 1636 and has operated as a premier institute of higher learning. One subset of this population includes Harvard arborists, and landscapers, the focus of this training application. Their proposed training includes Safety for Grounds Operations including rigging and climbing, Grounds Clearance & Aerial Mechanical Support.
- Conklin Office Furniture – Holyoke, MA - $15,720 Conklin is one of the nation's pioneers in office furniture recycling and refurbishing while integrating products and practices that leave a positive impact on the environment. The grant will provide the training that will reinforce and maintain best practices to address hazards of the industry. Their proposed training includes OSHA 10, PPE, Portable Fire Extinguisher, Hazard Communications, Lock Out Tag Out, Bloodborne Pathogens, Respiratory Protection and Ergonomics.
- Latham Centers – Orleans, MA - $9,375 Latham Centers is a nationally accredited and respected treatment program providing therapeutic, residential, educational and vocational services to individuals with behavioral and emotional problems. Their highly skilled professional team including social workers, nurses, teachers and clinical psychologists provide individualized care and treatment for each child. This grant will provide training to keep direct care staff safe when exposed to incidents of aggression, threats and violence. Their proposed training includes General Workplace Safety focusing on de-escalation, violence prevention, and crisis response.
- Affordable Interior Systems – Leominster, MA - $15,599 AIS is a family owned business and a leading manufacturer of commercial office furniture and seating. The company focuses on efficient manufacturing a naturally more sustainable approach requiring fewer resources and less energy. AIS will use this grant to provide OSHA 10, OSHA 30, Ergonomic Training, Forklift, PPE and Lock Out Tag Out training.
- Front Line, Inc. – Hopedale, MA - $15,300 Front Line has grown into the trusted source for union labor in the Northeast. Front Line provides construction sites, building owners, property managers and construction contractors with a highly skilled and specialized labor force. They perform demolition, mold remediation and fire restoration. Their proposed training includes Confined Space, Aerial Lift, Rough Terrain and Lead Awareness training.
- Town of Yarmouth – Yarmouth, MA - $24,500 The Town of Yarmouth, has two rivers and coasts on both the north and south sides of Cape Cod. The town is one of fifteen towns in Barnstable County, that actively participates in the Barnstable County Round Table Safety Group. Yarmouth recognizes the value of their employees and safety. The departments to receive the training are Cemetery and Parks, Highway, Water, Engineering, Facilities and Waste Management. The proposed training includes OSHA, Hazard Communication, Ergonomics, First Aid/CPR, PPE and Industrial Hygiene.
- Martha’s Vineyard Regional School District – Vineyard Haven, MA - $5,418 Martha's Vineyard Public Schools (MVPS) operates as a Superintendency Union, an affiliation which unites all schools under one Superintendent. The grant will provide preventative training to all custodial staff which will include fall hazards, preventing electrocution, power tools and PPE as well as First Aid/CPR.
- Massachusetts Association of Vocational Administrators – Grafton, MA - $25,000 The Massachusetts Association of Vocational Administrators is a non-profit organization representing the interests of vocational, technical and agricultural educators in the Commonwealth. The organization is continually collaborating with schools to maintain and enhance high quality safety training. It is the goal of this grant to educate our vocational, technical and agricultural educators with OSHA 501 level training and teach those standards to students so every graduating student will earn OSHA 10 certification.
- Springfield Water & Sewer Commission – Springfield, MA - $23,750 The Springfield Water and Sewer Commission has 240 employees and serves a population of about 250,000 households. Those employees administer and operate the water and wastewater systems as well as maintain and upgrade older infrastructure. The proposed training includes Asbestos Cement Pipe Safety, Hazard Emergency Response, Confined Space Rescue and Hazard Communication.
Gem Group, Inc. – Lawrence, MA - $16,500 Gem Group is the promotional product industry's premier supplier of bags, business accessories, stationery, drinkware, gifts and writing instruments, and is ranked as one of the industry’s largest suppliers. Gem Group would like to focus on their manufacturing operation with inherent risk factors. The proposed training includes Understanding Workplace Hazards in Manufacturing, Workplace Safety and Preventing Workplace Violence. Training will be provided in both Spanish and English.
- East Coast Fabrication - New Bedford, MA - $11,300 East Coast Fabrication is a family-owned business with a total of 32 employees who provide welding/fabrication and maintenance services for commercial fishing vessels in the New Bedford Harbor and require the operation of large equipment including forklifts and cranes. It is the focus of the company to provide a safe workplace by providing preventative safety training which will include OSHA 10, OSHA 30, Forklift Training, 40 Hour Hazardous Material Handling and Storing, CPR and Crane Safety and Signaling.