- Department of Conservation & Recreation
Media Contact for DCR Announces the Opening of Leo J. Martin Ski Track for the 2020-2021 Winter Season
Olivia Dorrance, Press Secretary
BOSTON — Beginning Friday, December 18, 2020, the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) will kick off its annual public skiing season at the Leo J. Martin Ski Track in the Town of Weston. Operated in partnership with the Charles River Recreation, Inc, the Leo J. Martin Ski Track will be open on a first come first serve basis through the online payment and reservation system.
“Enjoying a few laps around the Leo J. Martin Ski Track is an excellent way for individuals and families to stay active during the winter season,” said DCR Commissioner Jim Montgomery. “DCR is pleased to once again offer this unique cold-weather outdoor recreational opportunity.”
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, capacity at the Leo J. Martin Ski Track is limited for the 2020-2021 season and patrons are strongly encouraged to book reservations in advance. The online reservation system offers visitors a contactless way to book and pay for a reservation while capturing contact tracing information.
Bathrooms will remain open; however, the café will remain closed for the 2020-2021 season. The Charles River Recreation, Inc will offer ski equipment rentals, adaptive equipment rentals, and instruction. Visitors are advised to call ahead concerning the availability of ski equipment rentals, and instruction. For information about rentals and instruction, contact Charles River Reservation, Inc. directly. To learn about adaptive ski equipment, please visit DCR’s Universal Access Program webpage. For hours of operation and additional facility information, please visit the Leo J. Martin Ski Track website.
Face coverings and social distancing of six-feet between households is required at the ski track. Visitors are encouraged to consider an ‘arrive, ski, and leave’ approach to their visit in an effort to avoid skiers congregating in common areas.
When visiting the Leo J. Martin Ski Track or a state park, DCR offers general guidance for visitors to follow:
· If a facility or park is crowded, please consider leaving the area and either visiting a different location or returning at a later date or time (typically state parks are less busy during the week and/or early in the morning);
· Follow posted rules, such as “carry in, carry out” trash policies and posted parking restrictions;
· Stay within solitary or small groups, and avoid gatherings of ten or more people;
· Practice social distancing of at least six feet between individuals;
· Wear a facial mask or covering in public;
· Practice healthy personal hygiene, such as handwashing for at least 20 seconds; and,
· Stay home if ill, over 70, and/or part of a vulnerable population.
The Leo J. Martin Ski Track will operate in accordance with the Commonwealth’s Workplace Safety and Reopening Standards. For information about safety standards for entities providing youth and adult amateur sports activities, visit the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) website.