- Division of Fisheries and Wildlife
Media Contact for Freshwater Sportfishing Award winners announced
Marion Larson, MassWildlife
Winners of the 2017 Freshwater Sportfishing Awards have been announced! Angler of the Year awards are given in 3 categories to the person who catches the most species that meet the minimum weight or length requirements. Gold Pins are awarded to anglers who catch the largest fish in each species category. Check out selected photos of this year’s winners from the awards ceremony held in March or view a list of the top catches by species.
Highlights for 2017:
- Catch & Keep Adult Angler of the Year, Mark Mohan, Jr.of Pembroke, caught 12 of the 22 eligible species
- Catch & Keep Youth Angler of the Year, Jason Bunar of Kingston, caught 21 of the 22 eligible species
- Catch & Release Angler of the Year, Michael Nee of Northborough, caught 21 of the 22 eligible species
- 2 new state records for bowfin were caught days apart by father and son in the Taunton River, read more
- 12 new state records were awarded in the Catch & Release category
The spring fishing season is here, and it’s the perfect time to take part in this year’s Freshwater Sportfishing Awards Program. When you think you’ve caught a trophy fish, take a photo, weigh or measure your fish, and submit your catch – it’s that easy! Get all the details about entering your catch.