- Board of Registration in Pharmacy
Pharmacy Practice Updates
With the federal Public Health Emergency (“PHE”) for COVID-19 set to expire on May 11, 2023, certain practice allowances and requirements will change as described below.
- In response to the continued public health need for vaccinations, the Board will not be enforcing the supervisory ratios set out in 247 CMR 8.06(3) at licensed pharmacies that are providing vaccination services provided that the following conditions are met:
- A maximum ratio of 1 pharmacist to 6 support staff is not exceeded; and
- at least 3 support staff are interns and / or certified licensed pharmacy technicians.
Any pharmacies that do not administer vaccinations but would like the Board to consider their specific circumstances may contact the Board.
- Due to continued staffing shortages, the Board does not intend to take enforcement action against pharmacies that perform and reconcile perpetual inventory counts at least every 15 days as long as back-counts are performed after each prescription is filled.
- Pharmacists, interns, and pharmacy technicians may administer vaccines to individuals who are 5 years of age and older in accordance with Policy 2023-02: Vaccine Administration.
- COVID-19 Control Measures, including COVID-19 tests, may be dispensed or administered in accordance with Policy 2023-03: COVID-19 Control Measures.
Please direct any questions and communications to: