This page, Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles , is part of

What would you like to do?

Showing results

2021 Low Plate Lottery 

There are 197 plates available in this year's low plate lottery!

New to Massachusetts? 

Welcome to Massachusetts! Find information here to transfer your driver's license, ID card, or learners permit to a Mass credential. Also, if you have a vehicle, find out how to transfer your registration/plates to Mass plates.

Register and Title Your Vehicle 

To drive in Massachusetts, a vehicle and trailer needs to be properly registered with the RMV, and the vehicle owner must have a legally acquired title.

Passenger (Class D) Driver's Licenses 

If you are a Massachusetts resident (or even a non-resident), you must have a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle on any public road, highway, or other way permitting access to the public.

Disability Plates and Placards 

Through Medical Affairs, the RMV issues special license plates and placards to people with disabilities who meet certain medical qualifications.

RMV Forms and Manuals 

All the forms, manuals, and applications you need for RMV transactions

Commercial Driver's Licenses (CDL) 

Class A, B, and C licenses, known as commercial driver's licenses (CDLs), allow you to operate large vehicles, like trucks and buses.

RMV-issued Identification Cards 

If you do not have a Massachusetts driver's license, the RMV can issue you an official identification card: Massachusetts ID or Massachusetts Liquor ID. They do not extend any driving privileges.

Suspension Hearings 

You can find information on the RMV's suspension hearing, appeal, and reinstatement processes below.

Driving and other violations 

The RMV has the authority, in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws and the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, to suspend/revoke your learner's permit or driver's license/right to operate. The RMV can also suspend/revoke your vehicle registration.

Traffic Tickets 

Find out what you should do if you get a traffic ticket and what the court process is like.

Alcohol and Drug Suspensions 

This section provides the Registry of Motor Vehicles' policies related to alcohol or drug suspensions/revocations.

Motorcycle (Class M) Driver's Licenses 

A motorcycle driver's license (Class M) allows you to operate a motorcycle.

Vehicle Registration  

Find out what you need to renew, amend, or replace your vehicle registration and/or license plates.

Military and Veteran RMV Information 

The RMV makes certain exemptions from regular procedures and waives certain fees for military service members, veterans, and their spouses/dependents.

Tips for RMV Success 

Review these tips to be successful at the RMV - either online or in-person.

RMV Professional Certifications & Credentials 

The RMV works with business partners to make sure that our roads are safe and drivers are properly credentialed to operate vehicles.

Medical Standards Related to Driving 

The RMV's Medical Affairs department is primarily responsible for setting agency policies and procedures regarding physical qualifications for driver's licenses.

Registry of Motor Vehicles PRR 

Learn how to request public records from the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

RMV Records Requests 

The RMV maintains records on driving histories, as well as motor vehicle crashes and vehicle registration and titles. You can apply to request copies of some publicly available information.

Merit Rating Board (MRB) 

The Merit Rating Board (MRB) maintains operator driving records consisting of traffic law violations, at-fault and comprehensive insurance claim records, and out-of-state driving records.

Vehicle Certificate of Title 

Find out what you need to obtain a duplicate, change information, or check the status of a vehicle's Certificate of Title.

Salvage Vehicles and Titles 

If a vehicle sustains more damage than it is worth, it is considered a total loss and becomes considered salvage.

Section 5 - General Registrations 

Learn how to apply for, renew, amend, or cancel a farm, dealer, owner-contractor, transporter, and repair plates.

International Registration Plan (IRP) 

IRP is a registration agreement among states of the U.S., the District of Columbia, and provinces of Canada. IRP is a program for licensing commercial vehicles traveling in 2 or more IRP jurisdictions.

Massachusetts Vehicle Check 

Find a nearby inspection station or registered emissions repair shop.