Policy Statement Hampden County - Guidelines for Operation for Civil Session During COVID-19 Pandemic
Table of Contents
Protocol for Civil Sessions
- Until further notice, all scheduled hearings on civil matters will be held telephonically or via Zoom, with the exception of Secure and Hold matters and Petitions filed under G.L.c. 112, §125 (“Mary Moe" petitions), which may be held in person.
- Until further notice, the Court is not currently conducting jury trials. All upcoming scheduled jury trials shall be re-scheduled by the clerk to a later date.
- Until further notice, the Clerk's Office no longer accepts civil filings by email. Counsel should send civil filings via US mail, as pre-pandemic. The Clerk's Office is not open for hand-delivery, but there is a drop box for the Superior Court in the front entrance of the Roderick L. Ireland Courthouse, and it will be checked in the morning and at 2:00 p.m.
- Parties may seek extensions of Tracking Order deadlines or other deadlines by written motion filed in accordance with Superior Court Rule 9A. The reasons for the need for an extension must be specified in the motion.
- In the event of a Court closure, during said closure period a party may submit an Emergency motion or other Emergency filing by email to email@example.com. The Clerk has remote access to emailed filings and such emergency filings will be processed for consideration by a judge as soon as practicable. Non-Emergency filings shall be accepted for filing only by US mail during any closure period.