This page, Middlesex County - Guidelines for Operation for Civil Session During COVID-19 Pandemic , is offered by
Policy Statement Middlesex County - Guidelines for Operation for Civil Session During COVID-19 Pandemic
Table of Contents
Guideline for Operation of Middlesex County Civil Sessions During COVID-19 Pandemic
- All civil proceedings currently scheduled to occur on or before April 17, 2020 shall be re-scheduled to a date on or after May 4, 2020.
- Until further notice, there will be one emergency civil session for Middlesex Superior Court operating in Woburn. Superior Court operations in Lowell are suspended until further notice. Filings in Lowell cases will be handled in Woburn. The emergency civil session will be staffed by a judge /session clerk team on a rotating basis. Any motion that a party presents as an emergency will be reviewed by the emergency judge, who will decide whether it needs to be heard and/or ruled on.
- Until further notice, hearings will only be granted in emergency and time-sensitive matters. If the emergency judge determines that a hearing should be conducted on an emergency or time-sensitive matter, it will be conducted by video and/or telephonic means, with the exception of petitions filed under G.L. c. 112, § 125 (“Mary Moe” petitions), which may be held in person.
- Civil filings must be e-filed, mailed or dropped off in the lobby of the courthouse. The clerk’s office will process the filings, including any submissions pursuant to Superior Court Rule 9A, subject to available staffing, and bring them to the attention of a judge as soon as practicable. With regard to emergency and time-sensitive filings, parties may call or email the clerk’s office to alert the clerk of the filing.
- Parties may seek extensions of tracking order deadlines or other deadlines (beyond those ordered by the SJC) based on the COVID-19 emergency by written motion filed in accordance with Superior Court Rule 9A. To the extent that there are reasons other than the COVID-19 emergency for the need for an extension, these should be included in the motion.