The Office of the Massachusetts Attorney General has been named as one of six recipients competitively selected to receive a grant through the Identity Theft Resource Center® (ITRC), a nationally recognized non-profit organization established to support victims of identity theft. This grant is part of the coalition-building efforts under the National Identity Theft Victims Assistance Network Expansion Program (NITVAN II).
For additional information on NITVAN please visit nitvan.org
Funding for this award is derived from the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Office for Victims of Crime (OVC), through the Crime Victims Fund.
The Coalition has three primary goals:
- TRAIN service provider organizations to assist elders who have been victims of identity theft, including detailed trainings on how to help victims create an identity theft recovery plan.
- EDUCATE elders to be proactive in protecting their identity.
- RAISE awareness among businesses that are sometimes used in the act of identity theft to help them recognize and prevent identity theft.
Massachusetts Elder Identity Theft Coalition builds partnerships throughout the Commonwealth. To date, the following organization have joined the coalition:
- Executive Office of Elder Affairs
- Greater Boston Legal Services, Inc.
- Massachusetts Association of Councils on Aging
- Massaschusetts Healthy Aging Collaborative
- Massachusetts Department of Telecommunications and Cable
- Berkshire County District Attorney's Office
- Essex County District Attorney's Office
- Hampden County District Attorney's Office
- Norfolk County District Attorney's Office
- Hampshire County District Attorney's Office
- Plymouth County District Attorney's Office
- Suffolk County District Attorney's Office
- Worcester County District Attorney's Office
- Massachusetts AARP
- The Commission on Affairs of the Elderly
- Worcester Area Volunteers/RSVP
- The Governor’s Council to Address Aging in Massachusetts
- The Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
- Community Legal Aid
- Middlesex County District Attorney's Office
- MassHousing/TAP program
- Springfield Mayor's Office of Consumer Information
- Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation
- The Massachusetts Major City Chiefs of Police
- Boston Medical Center - Elders Living at Home Program
- Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Massachusetts Division of Banks
- Massachusetts Community and Banking Council
- South Coastal Counties Legal Services
- Northeast Legal Aid (regional CLAVC programs)
- City of New Bedford, Department of Community Services, Local Consumer Program
- Cooperative Credit Union Association
May 2, 2019 - New England Association of Resident Service Coordinators, Annual Conference. Train the Trainer Event. 350 Quaker Rd, North Falmouth, MA 02556
June 3, 2019 - Educational luncheon and panel discussion for veterans, their caregivers and family members to raise awareness of financial exploitation. DAV Hall, 788 Liberty Street, Braintree, MA 02184
June 12, 2019 - ElderCare 2019, Educational Event for Seniors & Caregivers. Worcester State College, 486 Chandler St., Worcester, MA