This project is reconstructing and widening Route 18 (Main Street/Bedford Street) in Weymouth and Abington. It will widen the roadway to two lanes and a shoulder in each direction throughout the project corridor. The corridor is a four-mile stretch of Route 18 from Middle Street/West Street (just west of Route 3) in Weymouth to Route 139 in Abington. The project also includes:
- replacing the bridge that carries Route 18 over the MBTA Kingston/Plymouth Commuter Rail line in Weymouth
- reconstructing existing intersections with traffic signal updates and safety improvements
- installing new emergency traffic control signals at the Abington Fire Station
- new sidewalks for pedestrians and accessibility improvement
- bicycle accommodations
- stormwater management updates
The project is using accelerated construction techniques to minimize traffic impacts. The contract incorporates incentives and disincentives to ensure timely completion of project milestones.
Anticipated Project & Work Schedule
Work is began in late fall 2017. Anticipated project completion is spring 2022
- 2017-2019: Utility relocations and enabling work for construction.
- 2018-2021: Construction and widening of Route 18
- 2018-2019: Route 18 bridge reconstruction, temporary and permanent alignment, over MBTA Kingston/Plymouth Commuter Rail line
- 2020-2022: Final paving of Route 18 and final restoration
- MassDOT - Owner
- Gioioso-D&R, Joint Venture - General Contractor
- Vegetation Control Service, Inc.
- J. R. Vinagro Corporation
- Bell Traffic Signal Maintenance, Inc.
- Liddell Brothers, Inc.
- United Stone and Site, Inc.
- H&A Steel LLC
- Brighter Horizons Environmental, Inc.
- Northern Tree Service, Inc.
- EDM Construction, Inc.
- Regina Villa Associates, Inc. - Public Outreach