Monday, April 27, 2020
Supreme Judicial Court Issues Updated Order, Effective May 4
- The Supreme Judicial Court today issued an updated order, which will be effective May 4, 2020, regarding the operation of Massachusetts state courts and courthouses during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Under the new order, until at least June 1, 2020, all courts of the Commonwealth will continue to conduct court business virtually; courthouses will continue to be closed to the general public, except where entry is required to address emergency matters that cannot be addressed virtually (by telephone, videoconference, email, or comparable means, or through the electronic filing system).
Jury trials in both criminal and civil cases in state courts are postponed to a date no earlier than July 1, 2020. All bench trials, in both criminal and civil cases are postponed to a date no earlier than June 1, unless they may be conducted virtually by agreement of the parties and of the court. The new order also extends various deadlines.
- Press Release: Supreme Judicial Court Issues Updated Order Regarding State Court Operations During The Pandemic
Superior Court Issues Administrative Directive No. 20-1
- On April 24, the Superior Court issued Superior Court Administrative Directive No. 20-1: Protocol governing actions to enforce isolation or quarantine orders issued by state or local public health departments, based on coronavirus (COVID-19) risks (effective April 24, 2020)
Tuesday, April 28, 2020
Supreme Judicial Court Posts Translated Information
- The SJC has posted translated information on the court's COVID-19 webpage. Translated materials include a recent press release (Spanish and Portuguese) and an SJC Order (Chinese and Portuguese).
Appeals Court Posts Revised Notice
- The Appeals Court has posted: Revised Notice Regarding Extension of Deadlines and Other COVID-19 Procedures in the Appeals Court
Trial Court Departments Post More Translated Information
- The Boston Municipal Court and Probate and Family Court have posted additional translated Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). Boston Municipal Court FAQs are now available in Chinese, Russian, and Vietnamese. Probate and Family Court FAQs are now available in Spanish and Portuguese. Click here to find the translated information.
Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers (LCL) Posts COVID-19 Resources
- LCL has compiled various resources for lawyers, law students, and judges. Topics include staying balanced, maintaining mental health, and working remotely as a lawyer during the pandemic. Click here to access COVID-19 resources.
Wednesday, April 29, 2020
District Court Issues Standing Order 5-20
- The District Court has issued Standing Order 5-20: Court operations under the exigent circumstances created by COVID-19 (coronavirus) (effective May 4, 2020). This order rescinds and supersedes District Court Standing Order 3-20.
Jury Duty Update
- The Office of Jury Commissioner has posted updated information for potential jurors. Click here to read the update.
Thursday, April 30, 2020
Superior Court Issues Standing Order 6-20
- The Superior Court has issued Standing Order 6-20: Updated protocol governing Superior Court operations during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic (effective May 4, 2020). This order rescinds and supersedes Standing Order 4-20.
Friday, May 1, 2020
Trial Court Issues Emergency Administrative Order 20-8
- The Trial Court today issued Emergency Administrative Order 20-8: Trial Court Order supplementing the Supreme Judicial Court Order regarding court operations under the exigent circumstances created by the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic (effective May 4, 2020).
Trial Court Departments Issue Standing Orders, Effective May 4, 2020
The following standing orders regarding court operations during the COVID-19 pandemic are effective May 4, 2020.
- Supreme Judicial Court updated order regarding court operations under the exigent circumstances created by the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic (issued April 27, 2020, effective May 4, 2020).
- Boston Municipal Court Standing Order 6-20 (issued May 1, 2020) This order rescinds Boston Municipal Court Standing Order 4-20.
- District Court Standing Order 5-20 (issued April 28, 2020) This order rescinds and supersedes District Court Standing Order 3-20.
- Housing Court Standing Order 5-20 (issued May 1, 2020) This order repeals and replaces Housing Court Standing Orders 2-20, 3-20, and 4-20.
- Juvenile Court Standing Order 6-20 (issued May 1, 2020) This order rescinds and supersedes Juvenile Court Standing Orders 1-20, 2-20, 3-20, and 4-20.
- Land Court Standing Order 5-20 (issued May 1, 2020) This order repeals and replaces Land Court Standing Order 4-20.
- Probate and Family Court Standing Order 2-20 (issued May 1, 2020) This order was amended on May 1, 2020.
- Superior Court Standing Order 6-20 (issued April 29, 2020) This order rescinds and supersedes Standing Order 4-20.