Basic Reserve/Intermittent training courses offered by authorized police training organizations (listed below) are entry-level training programs approved by the Municipal Police Training Committee that has the prescribed course of study that a reserve/intermittent police officer must satisfactorily complete prior to exercising police powers in Massachusetts.
This course is a minimum of 372.5 hours administered by regional police training organizations at various locations throughout the Commonwealth. When carrying a weapon, an additional 20 hours of MPTC-certified firearms training is required.
- Effective January 1, 2019 the MPTC-certified firearms training requirement increases from 20 hours to 56 hours.
For a schedule and to register, please select a police training organization and follow their application process.
Police Training Organizations
- Berkshire Law Enforcement Council
- Central Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association
- Hampden County Law Enforcement Training Center
- Massachusetts Law Enforcement Training Alliance, LLC
- New England Law Enforcement Training Center
- Northeast Regional Police Institute
- Plymouth County Police Chiefs Association
- Quinsigamond Community College
- South Suburban Police Institute
- Southeastern Massachusetts Police Training Association
- Western Massachusetts Police Chiefs Association, Inc.