MISSION OF THE BERKSHIRE DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE
The Berkshire District Attorney's Office is charged with the mission of prosecuting criminal offenses in Berkshire County in a fair and efficient manner. The Office is required to provide staffing, equipment, and services to the citizens of Berkshire County and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to meet that objective.
The Office is a Commonwealth agency, established in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 12, Sections 12 and 13. The Office is responsible for all criminal prosecutions in Berkshire County, covering everything from misdemeanors to major felonies. The Office handles cases in the County’s District Courts (including Jury sessions), Juvenile Courts, and Superior Court, and is responsible for all appeals to the State Appeals Court and Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. In addition, the Office provides critical services and programs to victims and their families and to the community at large.
The Berkshire County District Attorney’s office is seeking a full-time, criminal appellate attorney. Candidates should have prior appellate experience, strong research and writing skills, and preferably experience as an Assistant District Attorney. This position reports to the Chief of Appeals.
A successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to articulate sound legal arguments both orally and in writing. The position requires attention to detail, careful legal research, efficient and timely completion of briefs and memoranda of law, and experience arguing before both the MA Appeals Court and the SJC.
• Be able to handle post-conviction motions and appeals with a minimum amount of supervision;
• Assist trial attorneys with suppression and other evidentiary issues, motions to dismiss, motions in limine, and jury instructions;
• Analyze and develop policy initiatives and proposed legislation.
• JD from accredited law school;
• Member in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar;
• Strong communication, research, and writing skills;
• Significant and demonstrated understanding of criminal law, with an emphasis on appellate and case law;
• Capacity for fairness, strong work ethic, and ability to manage demanding work load;
• Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail;
• Ability to work independently and be part of a team;
• Strong computer skills, must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite;
Berkshire District Attorney’s Office is an EEO Employer with a firm commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in hiring practices.
Applications sent through this site are not received by our office.
Please send cover letter, resume and references to Dina Guiel Lampiasi at Dina.GuielLampiasi@state.ma.us