The Lemon Law applies to used cars, vans, trucks, and demonstration vehicles which:
- Are sold by a Massachusetts dealer
- Cost at least $700
- Have less than 125,000 miles on the odometer at the time of sale
What is not covered?:
- Motorcycles, mopeds, or dirt bikes
- Leased vehicles
- Motor homes and vehicles built primarily for off-road use
- Any vehicle used primarily for business purposes or purchased by, owned by or registered to a business
- Vehicles purchased out of Massachusetts
The law only covers certain defects. It doesn’t cover defects that:
- Affect appearance only
- Are covered by the manufacturer’s express warranty and the dealer assures that the repairs were made
- Are caused by negligence, abuse, vandalism, or accidents unrelated to the defect
- Are caused by repair attempts made by someone other than the dealer, its agent, or the manufacturer
- Are caused by substantial change made by you to the car.
Limited Used Vehicle Warranty
The Limited Used Vehicle Warranty can’t be waived and requires that:
- Dealers provide you with a written warranty against defects that impair the vehicle’s use or safety
- Dealers give you a signed, dated copy of the Limited Used Vehicle Warranty when you purchase the vehicle.
- Dealers repair any defect that impairs the vehicle’s use or safety
If the dealer does not give you a warranty or gives you one that is incomplete or inaccurate, you are still entitled to warranty repairs. Your warranty will not begin to expire until the dealer gives you a complete, accurate copy of the warranty.
Warranty Coverage Chart
|Less than 40,000 miles||90 days or 3,750 miles driven since purchase|
|40,000 – 79,999 miles||60 days or 2,500 miles driven since purchase|
|80,000 – 124,999 miles||30 days or 1,250 miles driven since purchase|
|More than 125,000 miles||No warranty, unless it failed inspection within 7 days of date of purchase|
If the true mileage is unknown at the time of sale, the warranty period is calculated according to the age of the car.
|Less than 3 years||90 days or 3,750 miles, whichever comes first|
|More than 3 years and less than 6 years||60 days or 2,500 miles, whichever comes first|
|6 years or older||30 days or 1,250 miles, whichever comes first|