The Commissioner of Insurance is required by the Massachusetts General Laws to bill assessments to insurance companies for various purposes.
The Division of Insurance excludes from assessment the following entities: Fraternal Organizations, Surplus Lines Carriers, Reinsurers, Accredited Reinsurers, and Risk Retention Groups. Companies in a court ordered receivership are also excluded.
Unless otherwise noted, the Division of Insurance shall utilize the premium data reported in the 2015 Annual Statement.
Payment is due within 30 days of receipt of the invoice.
Assessment Payments should be mailed to:
Division of Insurance - Assessments
- State Rating Bureau Medical Malpractice Unit Assessment
- Medical Malpractice Analysis Bureau Assessment
- State Rating Bureau Workers' Compensation Unit Assessment
- State Rating Bureau Assessment
- Health Care Access Bureau
- Department of Fire Services (DFS) Administration Assessment
- Merit Rating Board Assessment
- Special Maintenance (Life) Assessment
- Attorney General's Office - Automobile Fraud Assessment
- Attorney General's Office - Workers Compensation Fraud Assessment
- Attorney General's Office - Rate Setting Assessment
Please contact assessment billing at DOIAssessments@state.ma.us with billing questions.