Public school driver education program
These programs are offered at public high schools or as part of a continuing education program sponsored by the local school district. Typically, high school faculty members or employees of the school district that are licensed by the RMV to teach driver's education teach these programs to students enrolled in public high schools.
Professional driving school programs
A driver’s education program conducted by a private driving school that is licensed by the RMV and are typically conducted at private facilities. Employees of the driving school that are licensed by the RMV to instruct driver's education teach these programs.
Driver skills development program
A driver skills development program offers advanced driver training in accident avoidance techniques to individuals who possess a valid driver's license, or a valid learner's permit and have completed a minimum of ten hours supervised behind-the-wheel training. These programs are conducted in a controlled environment on an off-road training course at actual roadway speeds.
Additional Resources for
What to look for in a driver's education program
Interview the driving school owner or manager
- Ask the owner how long the school has been in operation.
- Ask for a statement of school policies & procedures. It should include: classroom hours and curriculum, in-car instruction and skills to be taught, how to book in-car hours, payment policies, refund policies, and cancellation policies.
- Ask the owner or instructor what the classroom student to teacher ratio is for the particular class you will be attending.
- Ask for references from people who have attended the school.
Visit the school
- Did you notice the RMV issued license posted in a visible place?
- Are all the licenses and instructor certifications up-to-date?
- Is the classroom clean with up-to-date facilities, equipment, and textbooks?
- What condition are the vehicles in? Are they clean? Do they have ABS brakes? The RMV recommends that the vehicles are no older than 5-10 years old or have low mileage.